Russia, India to hold joint naval drills in JanuaryNovember 20th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Vladivostok, Nov 20 (RIA Novosti) Russia and India will conduct joint naval exercises in the Indian Ocean in January, a spokesman for Russia’s Pacific Fleet said Thursday. The biennial Russian-Indian exercise codenamed Indra aimed at practising cooperative engagement to enforce maritime law and counter piracy, terrorism, and drug smuggling. It is the fourth such exercise since 2003.
“A task force from the Pacific Fleet, led by the Varyag missile cruiser, will leave Vladivostok in December and set sail for the Indian Ocean to participate in joint drills with the Indian navy,” Captain 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
He said that the task force will also conduct joint exercises with a task force from Russia’s Northern Fleet, led by the Pyotr Veliky nuclear-powered missile cruiser, which will arrive in the Indian Ocean after joint drills with the Venezuelan Navy in late November.
“Following the exercises, the Russian warships will pay friendly visits to several ports in India and China,” the spokesman said.
Martov also cited Vice Admiral Konstantin Sidenko, commander of the Pacific Fleet, as saying that Russian warships from the fleet will make several long-range training sorties in the South Pacific and Indian oceans in 2009, and participate in a number of exercises involving live-firing drills.
Russia announced last year that its navy would build up a constant presence in different regions of the world’s oceans.
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- Russian missile cruiser visits Canada - Nov 09, 2011
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise in January - Jan 12, 2009
- Russia conducts anti-submarine drills in Sea of Japan - Mar 24, 2010
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian nuke-powered missile cruiser to be in Goa for joint exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- Russian nuclear missile cruiser visits Goa port - Jan 29, 2009
- Russian, Indian navies complete joint naval exercise - Feb 12, 2009
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russian warships to hold drills in Indian Ocean - Nov 02, 2008