Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to IndiaJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 1:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s K-152 Nerpa nuclear-powered attack submarine has been handed over to the Indian Navy, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Monday.
In line with the contract worth over $900 million, the Project 971 Shchuka-B (NATO: Akula II) class sub has been leased to India’s Navy for ten years. It will be renamed the INS Chakra.
The ceremony took place in the Far Eastern Primorye Territory. Russian submariners trained their Indian colleagues to steer the Nerpa in the Pacific Ocean.
The event was attended by Indian Ambassador to Russia Ajai Malhotra, United Shipbuilding Corporation head Roman Trotsenko, Eastern Military District commander Admiral Konstantin Sidenko and other officials.
The submarine’s displacement is 8,140/12,770 tonnes. Its maximum speed is 30 knots, maximum operating depth, 600 m; its endurance is 100 days with a crew of 73. The vessel is armed with four 533mm torpedo tubes and four 650mm torpedo tubes.
India has become the sixth operator of nuclear submarines in the world, after the US, Russia, France, Britain and China, though it previously leased another Russian submarine which was then returned.
Twenty sailors died on the Nerpa in 2008 after the vessel’s fire-suppression systems were accidentally triggered during sea trials, releasing toxic gases.
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- Russian nuclear sub ready for India transfer - Dec 28, 2011
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine in March - Oct 01, 2010
- Russian n-submarine meant for India passes final trials - Dec 28, 2009
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India in November - Oct 04, 2011
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India by October - Mar 16, 2011
- No Russian submarine near US : Pentagon - Aug 17, 2012
- Initial trials of Russian nuclear sub for India completed - Jul 27, 2009
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia's new attack submarine starts sea trials - Sep 13, 2011
- Indian Navy personnel to join Russian nuke sub trials - Sep 04, 2009
Tags: ajai, akula, attack submarine, ceremony took place, contract worth, district commander, fire suppression systems, indian ambassador, indian colleagues, indian navy, military district, nuclear submarine, nuclear submarines, primorye territory, ria novosti russia, russian submarine, russian submariners, sea trials, torpedo tubes, toxic gases