Russia, France should join hands for united Europe : PutinSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 10:16 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 3 (IANS) Russia and France should make joint efforts for a united Europe, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said.
During a ceremony held to mark the 200th anniversary of the 1812 Patriotic War at the Russian village of Borodino outside Moscow Sunday, Putin watched a re-enactment of the Battle of Borodino, a decisive fight between Russian and French troops, Xinhua reported.
On this occasion, Putin said though the Russians and French people were rivals during the Battle of Borodino 200 years ago, soldiers from both sides showed their courage and heroism. The people of the two sides should joint hands to promote a united Europe.
“In our history, we have been together more often than at war. France has almost always been our close ally,” Putin said. “I hope together we shall be able to do more to unite Europe on the basis of common moral values.”
Over 3,000 military and history enthusiasts from 120 history clubs around the world participated in Sunday’s re-enactment.
The Battle of Borodino, fought Sep7, 1812, was the largest and bloodiest single-day action of the French invasion of Russia, involving more than 250,000 troops and causing at least 70,000 casualties. The battle was led by Emperor Napoleon I of French side and General Mikhail Kutuzov of Russian side.
- 1812 war museum opens in Moscow - Sep 05, 2012
- France plans theme park to honour Napoleon - Jan 22, 2012
- US hails Russia's contribution to Afghan mission - Jun 19, 2012
- Napoleon enthusiasts re-enact Battle of Waterloo - Jun 21, 2010
- Protests at Russian embassy in Paris - Dec 09, 2011
- Antony pays homage at Russian WW-II memorial - Oct 04, 2011
- After India-Russia summit, PM announces Kudankulam opening in weeks (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Russian ruling party wants tough penalties for protesters - Apr 18, 2012
- Putin returns to Kremlin amid protests (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Russian painter sews lips to protest - Jul 24, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Putin supporters stage massive election rally - Feb 23, 2012
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Napoleon letter to be auctioned in Moscow - Feb 26, 2011
- Cognac that accompanied Napoleon to be auctioned - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: battle of borodino, emperor napoleon, french invasion, french people, french side, french troops, history enthusiasts, invasion of russia, mikhail kutuzov, moral values, napoleon i, patriotic war, president vladimir putin, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, russian side, russian village, united europe, vladimir putin, xinhua