Russia denies being on European democracy watchdog’s blacklistJune 26th, 2008 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Strasbourg (France), June 26 (RIA Novosti) Russia Thursday dismissed media reports that it was on the blacklist of the European democracy watchdog, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). “No one has tied Russia to the whipping post, and no more criticism has been hurled at us than at any other country,” said Mikhail Margelov, the PACE deputy speaker and Russian parliament’s international affairs committee chairman.
“The debate on the state of democracy in Europe… showed that the entire list of member countries could be included on a blacklist,” Margelov said, adding that the “100 percent democracy” dreamed of by human rights activists did not exist anywhere.
A senior Russian delegate, Leonid Slutsky, also denied the reports, telling RIA Novosti: “As for the so-called ‘blacklists’ reported by certain sections of the Russian media, the report on democracy in Europe and the approval of a resolution as a result of the discussion does not contain any such lists.
“The articles in the resolution that criticize Russia cannot be called ‘blacklist’ by any stretch of the imagination,” he added.
The summer session of PACE being under way in Strasbourg has been focussed on a number of issues, including Kosovo, Georgia’s elections, Azerbaijan and protests in Armenia.
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- German judge convicts, frees ailing Nazi extermination camp guard - May 13, 2011
- Chechen separatist Zakayev leader detained in Poland - Sep 18, 2010
- 'Attacks on journalists in Russia a concern' - Apr 14, 2011
- Russian internet blacklist to be kept secret - Aug 14, 2012
- CSKA look to dominate AIK again - Aug 29, 2012
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Gaddafi told endgame is near: Medvedev's envoy to Africa - Jun 14, 2011
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Olymic wrestling: Vlasov ends Russia's wait for gold - Aug 06, 2012
- CIS leaders call for free trade deal, peaceful end to conflicts - Sep 03, 2011
- NATO strikes on Libya amount to land operation: Moscow - Jun 04, 2011
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Court reduces Russian tycoon's prison term by one year - May 25, 2011
- Syrian army fighting 'militants, 'provocateurs': Russia - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: committee chairman, council of europe, democracy in europe, deputy speaker, human rights activists, international affairs committee, kosovo, leonid, member countries, parliamentary assembly of the council of europe, protests, ria novosti russia, russian delegate, russian media, russian parliament, slutsky, strasbourg france, summer session, watchdog, whipping post