Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunitionDecember 1st, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia and Cuba plan to sign a contract to build an assembly line in Cuba for production of ammunition for Kalashnikov and other assault rifles as part of an understanding to modernise Soviet-era military equipment and train Cuban military personnel.
A source from the ministry of industry and trade said the assembly line for 7.62 mm ammunition rounds used in Kalashnikov assault rifles and other Russia-made rifles will be built at Cuba’s Comandante Ernesto Che Guevara military plant, the Kommersant business daily reported.
The source said Russia’s state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport has already prepared a contract, which includes the license and technology transfer. He said Russia was hoping to receive a contract in the future on a complete overhaul of rifle ammunition production facilities in Cuba.
The ammunition plants were built in the 1970s-1980s with the help of Soviet specialists.
Chief of the Russian General Staff Gen. Nikolai Makarov said during a visit to Cuba in 2009 that modernisation of the Soviet-made military equipment and training of Cuban military personnel will be the focus of Russia-Cuba military cooperation in the future.
- Russia to stay loyal to Kalashnikov - Dec 22, 2011
- Russian man buys wooden crates, finds AK-47s inside - Jan 13, 2012
- Russia to fight faking of its weapons abroad - Feb 27, 2012
- Russia to build AK-47 ammunition factory in Cuba - Dec 02, 2011
- Russia to showcase 70 weapon systems in Bangkok - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia to dispose of 4 million guns, including AK-47s - Mar 15, 2012
- Ukraine sold $1 bn worth of weapons in 2010 - Jul 19, 2011
- Russia has no plans of military base in Cuba - Jul 29, 2012
- No plans to retire Russia's Typhoon class submarine - Sep 30, 2011
- Kalashnikov rifle sales up by 57 percent in 2011 - Jan 26, 2012
- Three Russian journalists detained in Kazakhstan - Dec 19, 2011
- Putin backs importing foreign military technology - Jul 03, 2012
- Russian military to get new pistol - Jun 14, 2012
- AK rifles' sales soar - Jan 26, 2012
- Russia to sell 52 choppers to China - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: 1980s, ammunition production, assembly line, che guevara, comandante, cuba, ernesto che guevara, general staff, kalashnikov assault rifles, military cooperation, military equipment, military personnel, modernisation, moscow, nikolai makarov, ria novosti russia, rifle ammunition, rosoboronexport, russian general, technology transfer