Russia criticises UN chief’s defence of Libya actionDecember 23rd, 2011 - 9:32 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has criticised UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for defending the NATO operation in Libya and ignoring data on civilian casualties collected by a number of UN member states.
Ban came to the defence of NATO in response to charges that the alliance overstepped its mandate to impose a no-fly zone to protect Libyan civilians and instead openly sided with the rebels, enabling them to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi’s regime.
“UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s statements that the alliance’s actions in Libya were conducted in strict accordance with the UN Security Council resolution 1973, directly contradict the facts and are at odds with the estimates of many members of the Security Council and other UN members,” said Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.
He said Ban must “take into account the positions of all the UN members, especially when the issue concerns sensitive events on the global agenda”.
Ban’s attempt to present “the operation in Libya as a model for future crisis resolution is cynical to say the least”, Lukshevich added.
Russia has urged NATO to investigate civilian deaths in Libya from its bombing campaign, saying the alliance’s claim that there were no civilian casualties was “untrue”.
Russian ambassador to the UN, Vitaly Churkin, said he has asked NATO to give “a definitive report” to the Security Council summing up its activities in Libya. But he said “unfortunately” the alliance only provided “piecemeal, rather perfunctory reports… (that) were not very informative”.
- UN lifts no-fly zone over Libya - Oct 28, 2011
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- UN approves sending 300 observers to Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- UN sees no military solution to Libya conflict - Aug 12, 2011
- No instructions for UNSC meet on Libya: Medvedev's aide - Apr 27, 2011
- Medvedev urges security for Russian diplomats in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- Russia, China veto UN resolution on Syria - Oct 05, 2011
- NATO rejects criticism over Libya - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- UN chief urges global ban on n-tests - Aug 30, 2011
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
- UN chief discusses Libya with regional organisations - Aug 27, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Russia opposes UN resolution on Syria - Jun 09, 2011
- UN Security Council adopts resolution to try Somali pirates - Apr 28, 2010
Tags: ban ki moon, civilian casualties, civilian deaths, crisis resolution, criticised, definitive report, fly zone, foreign ministry spokesman, global agenda, libya, muammar gaddafi, nato operation, ria novosti russia, russian ambassador, russian foreign ministry, security council resolution, strict accordance, un secretary general, un security council, vitaly churkin