Russia criticises Ahmadinejad’s speech at Geneva conferenceApril 22nd, 2009 - 4:53 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 22 (RIA Novosti) Russia Tuesday criticised Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s speech at the UN conference on racism in Geneva.
“Unfortunately, harsh and unbalanced statements were voiced on the first day of the conference, particularly in the speech of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,” the foreign ministry of Russia said, adding that such statements had nothing to do with the conference’s main topic.
The Geneva conference was boycotted by the US, Israel and a number of European countries, including Germany, over fears that the Iranian leader would launch a verbal attack on Israel.
Ahmadinejad’s subsequent speech, during which he described Israel as a “most cruel and racist regime”, sparked a mass walkout by those Western diplomats who attended the conference.
The Russian ministry also expressed its regret that some states had refused to take part in the conference, while others walked out midway.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon also criticised Ahmadinejad’s speech Monday, calling it an attempt “to accuse, divide and even incite.”
On Tuesday, the UN member states attending the conference adopted a declaration calling for protecting vulnerable people and fighting against racism, discrimination and intolerance.
- World-wide condemnation follows Ahmadinejad rant - Apr 21, 2009
- US calls for end to Ahmadinejad's 'inflammatory rhetoric' (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- UN adopts declaration at racism conference - Apr 21, 2009
- UN condemns Ahmedinejad speech at racism conference - Apr 20, 2009
- March of Living honours Holocaust victims - Apr 21, 2009
- Germany to walk out at UN if Iran denies Holocaust - Sep 23, 2009
- Iranian president signals possible acceptance of Israel: Report - Apr 27, 2009
- Iranian president targets the West in UN speech - Sep 23, 2011
- US to boycott UN's anti-racism conference - Apr 19, 2009
- UN racism conference adopts final declaration - Apr 22, 2009
- Europeans walk out on Iran's president at UN conference - Apr 20, 2009
- Ban condemns Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel statement - Aug 18, 2012
- German foreign minister calls Ahmadinejad 'disgrace' - Sep 24, 2009
- US, EU countries' delegates walk-out to protest Ahmadinejad's UN speech on 9/11 attacks - Sep 24, 2010
- EU rejects Ahmadinejad speech - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: ban ki moon, criticised, discrimination, european countries, foreign ministry, geneva conference, iranian leader, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, member states, midway, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, racism, racist regime, ria novosti russia, russian ministry, verbal attack, walkout, western diplomats