Russia could deploy unmanned bomber after 2040August 3rd, 2012 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia could deploy a sixth-generation” pilotless strategic bomber aircraft after 2040, Lt. Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of the Long-Range Aviation Command, said Thursday.
“That could be around 2040-2050,” Zhikharev said.
Russia’s Tupolev design bureau is currently developing a new-generation strategic bomber aircraft - PAK DA - due to be in service around 2025. The new aircraft will replace the existing fleet of Tu-160, Tu-95MS and Tu-22M3 bombers.
The future development of Russia’s long-range aviation in Russia has been the subject of some debate in recent months.
At present only Russia and the US operate intercontinental range bombers. Most other nuclear-capable nations rely solely on intercontinental ballistic missiles based on submarines or in land-based silos, or cruise missiles.
Russia’s strategic air forces operate a total of 63 Tu-95MS and 13 Tu-160 bombers.
- Putin calls for new long-range bomber and UAVs - Jun 15, 2012
- Russian deputy PM backs hypersonic bomber - Aug 27, 2012
- Russia to build fifth-generation bombers - Jun 09, 2012
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- US deploys more missiles than Russia - Oct 26, 2011
- Chavez offer base for Russian strategic bombers - Mar 15, 2009
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Russia suspends airline after crash kills 47 - Jul 14, 2011
- Russia seals missile deal - Mar 20, 2012
- Russia to spend $280 mn on new planes for Kremlin - Jan 20, 2012
- Israel worried over Syrian missiles to Hezbollah - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: air forces, aug 2, bomber aircraft, bombers, cruise missiles, fleet, future development, intercontinental ballistic missiles, moscow, new aircraft, new generation, nuclear capable nations, ria novosti russia, silos, sixth generation, submarines, tu 160, tu 95ms, tupolev design bureau, vm