Russia condemns US crackdown on Occupy movementDecember 14th, 2011 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has accused the US of using “unjustified cruelty” against Occupy Wall Street protesters.
The Russian foreign ministry’s human rights envoy, Konstantin Dolgov, said most of the Occupy movement’s actions were “peaceful” and criticised the authorities for using undue violence against the protestors.
“As for the reaction of the authorities to these protest actions, including in the United States, we can point to the presence in it of elements of unjustified cruelty and in some cases of the disproportionate use of force,” Dolgov said in a statement Tuesday.
“News channels regularly show scenes of violent dispersions by police of camps and peaceful demonstrations,” he said.
The Occupy movement started Sep 17 in Zuccotti Park, located in New York City’s Wall Street financial district. It spread to over 70 major US cities, including Washington, where protestors set up encampments in two public squares near the White House.
There have been dozens of reports of police violence since the anti-greed movement began. In one particular incident, a police officer shot pepper spray at protesting students at the University of California in November.
Last week, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had accused the US of backing anti-government protests in Moscow and other cities, and said that US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s comments on the elections the Russian Duma (parliament) had “given a signal” to the protestors.
- New York won't tolerate Wall Street violence: Mayor - Nov 06, 2011
- US hires private firms for 'dirty work': Russian diplomat - Aug 29, 2012
- Anti-Putin protests sweep across Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Russian parliament approves heavy fines for protestors - Jun 05, 2012
- Russian anti-rally bill wants $50,000 fine on protesters - May 11, 2012
- US encouraging Russian opposition, says Putin - Dec 08, 2011
- No plans for early parliamentary polls : Putin - Mar 02, 2012
- McCain like 'Alice in Wonderland' March Hare: Russian speaker - Dec 07, 2011
- Pro-Kremlin groups to stage 26 rallies in Moscow - Mar 04, 2012
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
- Russia giving Syria with combat helicopters: Clinton - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia, US may ease visa regime 'in foreseeable future' - Mar 30, 2011
- Police injured in anti-Putin rally get apartments - May 26, 2012
Tags: crackdown, dispersions, dolgov, hillary clinton, human rights envoy, konstantin, news channels, peaceful demonstrations, police violence, protest actions, protestors, public squares, ria novosti russia, russian duma, russian foreign ministry, shot pepper spray, there have been dozens, tuesday news, use of force, vladimir putin