Russia completes final trials of Indian frigateFebruary 8th, 2012 - 2:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Yantar shipyard in Russia’s European exclave of Kaliningrad has completed the final tests of a missile frigate for the Indian Navy, an official said.
Russia and India signed a $1.6 billion contract on construction of three modified Krivak III class — also known as Talwar class — guided missile frigates for India in 2006.
The first frigate, the Teg, was scheduled for delivery in April 2011, but funding shortfalls have delayed the work.
Two other Talwar class frigates — the Tarkash and the Trikand — are at various stages of construction and testing at the Yantar shipyard. Their delivery dates are unknown.
The new frigates are each armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.
They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defense gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers, and an anti-submarine warfare helicopter.
Russia has previously built three Talwar class frigates for India — INS Talwar, INS Trishul, and INS Tabar.
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Russia to float out frigate for Indian Navy Nov 27 - Nov 18, 2009
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- INS Teg warship inducted into Indian Navy - Apr 27, 2012
- Russia to supply more Krivak-class warships to India - Feb 05, 2009
- Russian shipyard seeks $60 mn loan to complete Indian frigates - Aug 06, 2009
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- Russia starts building new missile frigate for Indian Navy - Jun 11, 2008
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russian teacher faces jail over sex with teenagers - Dec 23, 2011
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: class frigates, cruise missiles, delivery dates, exclave, guided missile, indian navy, ins tabar, ins talwar, ins trishul, kaliningrad, kashtan, missile frigate, missile frigates, missile system, missile systems, ria novosti, submarine warfare, surface to air, surface to air missile, tarkash