Russia, China vote against UN resolution on SyriaJuly 7th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, July 7 (IANS) Russia, China and Cuba voted against the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution Friday which unilaterally condemned the Syrian government. However, India, Philippines and Uganda abstained from voting, reported Xinhua.
While a total of 41 member states voted in favour of the UN resolution, India, Philippines and Uganda abstained.
The resolution, tabled by the US, strongly condemned “the widespread, systematic and gross violations of human rights; acts of violence; ongoing atrocities; and indiscriminate targeting of civilians by the Syrian authorities.”
It also condemned “the human rights violations and crimes that members of the government-controlled militia ‘Shabiha’ continue to commit against the Syrian people”.
Russia proposed to include the sentence of “strongly condemns all terrorist acts in Syria” in the text, but was rejected by the Human Rights Council, according to a media update sent by the council.
China said the resolution was neither balanced nor objective. It would do no good to help resolve the human rights issues in Syria, instead would possibly intensify the confrontation among parties in Syria, making the political process of Syria more complicated.
The 20th regular session of the Human Rights Council was held from June 18 to July 6.
The 21st session will be held from Sept. 10 to 28 during which the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, mandated by the council, is expected to deliver its final report.
- UN resolution on Syria shows 'unilateral' approaches : Russia - Mar 02, 2012
- India votes for Syria resolution in UN General Assembly - Feb 17, 2012
- UN Human Rights Council to discuss Syria Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- Excerpts from UN Syrian resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Syria vote: India calls lack of consensus regrettable - Aug 25, 2011
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- US drones fly over Syria to monitor situation - Feb 20, 2012
- Human Rights Watch asks India not to back Syria - Feb 03, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- India backs move against Assad, rights body pats Delhi (Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia, China kill India-backed resolution on Syria (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Concerned India backs democracy transition in Syria (Intro Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: acts of violence, atrocities, china vote, civilians, commission of inquiry, confrontation, favour, gross violations, human rights council, human rights issues, human rights violations, member states, militia, syrian authorities, syrian government, terrorist acts, unhrc, united nations human rights council, violations of human rights, xinhua