Russia calls for political dialogue in SyriaAugust 25th, 2012 - 6:59 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 25 (IANS) Moscow has called for a political dialogue between the Syrian government and the opposition, and it supports a peaceful settlement of the prolonged crisis in the Middle East country, said Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Friday.
In conversation with the new UN-Arab League joint special envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi over phone, Lavrov said that Russia favours an immediate ceasefire in the conflict-torn country and the early start of a political dialogue between Syrian authorities and the opposition, Xinhua reported.
Lavrov also urged all sides in Syria to follow the “roadmap” based on outgoing special envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan, said a statement issued by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
- Syrian government planning talks with opposition : Russia - Aug 22, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Both Syrian forces, rebels to blame for massacre: Russia - May 29, 2012
- Arab invasion in Syria 'not an option': UN envoy - Sep 03, 2012
- UN chief reiterates full support for new Syria envoy - Aug 25, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
Tags: arab league, ceasefire, conflict, favours, foreign minister, kofi annan, lakhdar brahimi, moscow, opposition, peace plan, peaceful settlement, political dialogue, roadmap, russia, russian foreign ministry, sergei lavrov, syria, syrian authorities, syrian government, xinhua