Russia calls for ending Gaza blockadeJune 21st, 2010 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has called on Israel to lift its three-year blockade on Gaza and make steps towards easing the humanitarian situation in the Palestinian enclave, the foreign ministry said Monday.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Sunday held a telephonic conversation with his Israeli counterpart Avigdor Lieberman to discuss the issue.
“(The Russian foreign minister) stressed the necessity for Israel to swiftly end its blockade on Gaza and make real steps towards easing the humanitarian situation,” the ministry said in a statement.
Israel imposed a blockade on Gaza when Hamas seized power in the strip in June 2007.
Tel Aviv has been under increasing international pressure to end the blockade after Israeli commandos stormed an international convoy carrying aid to Gaza last month.
Lavrov said joint efforts must be taken to promote the Middle East negotiation process that will “guarantee peace, stability and security for Israel and all countries and peoples of the Middle East.”
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Russia seeks explanation from US on spy scandal - Jun 29, 2010
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Israel should open Gaza crossings: EU - Jul 19, 2010
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- No humanitarian crisis in Gaza: Israeli foreign minister - Jun 25, 2010
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
- Bus carrying Russians attacked in Syria - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian foreign minister to meet Libyan opposition - May 22, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- April talks last chance for Iran to avoid US attack - Mar 14, 2012
- Russia defends arms supplies to Syria - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia writes off $11 bn in Afghan debt - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: blockade, convoy, dg, enclave, foreign minister, foreign ministry, gaza, hamas, humanitarian situation, israeli commandos, israeli counterpart, june 21, lieberman, moscow, negotiation process, ria novosti russia, sergei lavrov, snb, tel aviv, telephonic conversation