Russia, Britain to boost cooperation on SyriaAugust 2nd, 2012 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia and Britain have almost similar views on some elements of the Syrian crisis and will work together to find possible solutions to the conflict, President Vladimir Putin said Thursday.
He was speaking after holding talks with British Prime Minister David Cameron in London.
“We have pointed out that there are some points (related to the situation in Syria) that we appraise almost identically,” the Russian president said.
“We agreed that we will search for ways to solve this problem together and give an additional impetus to our foreign ministries to work together to find acceptable solutions,” he added.
Putin was on a day-long visit to London Thursday to meet Cameron and watch the Olympics.
Cameron said there were differences between the British and Russian positions on Syria, but both agreed that they wanted peace and stability to be restored in Syria.
The comments came as the Russian foreign ministry said on Thursday it would not support a draft resolution introduced to the UN General Assembly by a group of Arab countries.
Russia and China have vetoed three Western countries-backed UN Security Council resolutions against President Bashar al-Assad fearing the repetition of “the Libyan scenario” in Syria.
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Syria crisis should be resolved constitutionally: Putin - Jun 20, 2012
- Putin speaks out on Syria settlement plan - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Russia not considering sheltering Syrian president - Mar 08, 2012
- Russian aid planes reach Syria - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: acceptable solutions, arab countries, bashar al assad, british prime minister, david cameron, draft resolution, london thursday, minister david, peace and stability, president bashar, president vladimir putin, ria novosti russia, russian foreign ministry, russian positions, russian president, security council resolutions, un general assembly, un security council, un security council resolutions, vladimir putin