Russia accused of tricking EU on gas suppliesJanuary 14th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.14 (ANI): Russia has been accused of trying to ”trick” the European Union after gas supplies delivered through Ukraine were turned off again.
On Tuesday, Gazprom announced that normal service had been resumed of supplies to Ukraine. But within three hours EU officials announced that “little or no” gas was getting through.
Both Russia and Ukraine then blamed each other for a failure to reopen pipelines and the uneasy EU-brokered truce disintegrated as both sides traded accusations.
Russia’’s state gas monopoly Gazprom claimed Ukraine was stealing gas meant for Europe and taking orders from the United States in the crisis.
Ukraine accused Russia of sending the gas on impossible journey though incompatible pipelines and of using the crisis to try to wrest control of Ukraine’’s vast pipeline network.
EU sources told The Daily Telegraph that the crisis is expected to escalate on Wednesday as European patience runs out with Russia.(ANI)
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- EU in frantic talks as Russian gas flow stalls (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2009
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Russia, EU close to solution on gas row: Putin - Jan 17, 2009
- Russian gas supplies to resume Tuesday: EU (Third lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Russian gas for Europe pumped into Ukrainian pipeline - Jan 20, 2009
- EU gas hangs in balance as Russia, Ukraine skirmish - Jan 10, 2009
- Gazprom accuses Ukraine of blocking gas transits again - Jan 13, 2009
- Medvedev rescinds agreement on gas monitors - Jan 12, 2009
- Bulgaria seeks gas compensation from Gazprom - Jan 24, 2009
- Russia-Ukraine gas monitoring deal done: EU (Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- Talks fail, will cut off gas to Ukraine: Gazprom - Jan 01, 2009
- Ukraine refuses to transit gas for Europe: Gazprom (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- EU demands end to Ukraine-Russia gas row - Jan 03, 2009
- Putin proposes EU consortium to aid gas flow - Jan 16, 2009
Tags: accusations, daily telegraph, europe, european union, failure, gas monopoly, gazprom, impossible journey, london jan, monopoly, patience, pipeline network, pipelines, russia, stealing gas, truce, ukraine, united states