Runway opens at world’s first spaceport in USOctober 23rd, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 23 (ANI): Commercial space travel moved a step closer with the unveiling of a runway at the world’s first spaceport in New Mexico.
The event was marked with a flypast of an aircraft carrying SpaceShip Two.
The vehicle has been developed to take fee-paying tourists on trips to the edge of space and back.
British billionaire Sir Richard Branson-whose Virgin group has backed the venture-said the first passenger trip should take place within 18 months.
The opening of the nearly two-mile (three-kilometre) runway comes less than two weeks after another major step for Sir Richard’s Virgin Galactic company: the first solo glide flight of SpaceShip Two.
“Today is very personal as our dream becomes more real,” the BBC quoted Richard as saying.
“People are beginning to believe now. I think the drop flight two weeks ago, which went beautifully, I think it made people sit up and realize this is really reality,” he said.
More than 300 people have already paid at least 200,000 dollars each for a three-hour flight. (ANI)
- Virgin Galactic's spaceship makes first solo test flight - Oct 11, 2010
- Virgin Galactic space ship makes its first solo test flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Branson among 529 signed up for space trip - Jul 12, 2012
- Runway at world's first commercial spaceport ready - Oct 23, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Makes First Test Space Flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two Completes Its Manned Flight Successfully - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Space Craft Will Make Its Debut To The Space - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin space tourists could be launched by 2015 - Jun 14, 2010
- World's Virgin Commercial Spacecraft Test Flight A Big Success - Mar 24, 2010
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo takes maiden flight - Mar 23, 2010
- Kutcher heads to space - Mar 21, 2012
- Soon, Sir Richard Branson's space tourism reality show - Jan 18, 2010
- Prince Harry wants to go to space - Aug 07, 2011
- Space visit on Theron's wish list - May 28, 2012
- Perry gifts $200,000 space trip to Brand on birthday - Aug 02, 2010