Runaway Brit-Muslim girl ‘was smothered or strangled’January 9th, 2008 - 5:49 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 9 (ANI): A teenage British-Muslim girl, whose dead body was found in a river after she ran away from an arranged marriage, was either strangled or smothered.
The badly decomposed body of 17-year-old Shafilea Ahmed was found by workmen on the bed of the River Kent in February 2004, almost five months after she had disappeared from her home, according to The Independent.
Though Ahmeds cause of death was never been established, a pathologist who carried out her post-mortem examination, on Tuesday, said she might not have had natural death.
Ruling out the possibility of death by drowning, Dr Alison Armour told an inquest that it was no longer possible to confirm whether Ahmed had died by strangulation or smothering, as there were few marks and her neck muscles had decomposed.
South Cumbria coroner Ian Smith was told that Ahmed had run away from her home with a male friend before a family trip to Pakistan in 2003.
Superintendent Geraint Jones of Cheshire Police said: “We know she had said that she would be forced into marriage.”
Jones further said that Ahmed had told hospital workers that she was the victim of domestic abuse and had self-harmed and drunk a “caustic substance.”
Deceaseds parents, Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed, were arrested on suspicion of her kidnap in December 2003 and later released on police bail.
A mother and daughter from Sedgwick had told the inquest that they had seen a white van parked haphazardly near the river around the time she was missing.
Ahmed’s parents, who have offered a 5,000-pound reward to catch her killer, have always maintained they had nothing to do with her death. (ANI)
- Pakistani girl killed to protect 'family honour' - May 22, 2012
- Pakistani parents found guilty of killing teenaged daughter - Aug 03, 2012
- Brit-Asian parents re-arrested over teen daughter's 'honour killing' - Sep 03, 2010
- Brit-Asian parents re-arrested over teen daughter's murder - Sep 03, 2010
- Muslim girl afraid of forced marriage was murdered, says coroner - Jan 12, 2008
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- Woman rides wheelchair over two miles to kill herself - Feb 26, 2012
- Pregnant Pakistani woman killed by in-laws in Britain - Apr 25, 2012
- Once shunned, she now educates people about AIDS (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- Elderly woman found dead in her Delhi flat - Jun 20, 2012
- Brit woman, children held captive for eight months by hubby's family freed in Pak - Jun 19, 2010
- Family kills pregnant Pakistani woman in Britain - Jul 10, 2012
- Brit mum kills 3-year-old daughter, dissolves body in acid - Oct 27, 2010
- Bangladeshi girl dumps groom for demanding dowry - Nov 16, 2011
- Winehouse, beau were planning to wed - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: caustic substance, cheshire police, decomposed body, domestic abuse, dr alison, family trip, farzana, inquest, london jan, male friend, mortem examination, mother and daughter, muslim girl, natural death, neck muscles, river kent, shafilea ahmed, south cumbria, strangulation, workmen