Ruins of late-Roman-era fortress found in BulgariaNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:31 pm ICT by admin
Sofia, Nov 14 (ANI): Archaeologists have found ruins of a late-Roman-era fortress during an excavation in Svalenik village, nowadays Northern Bulgaria.
The ruin, which was a part of the defence system of the Romans, had been raised in the IV Century as a watch fortification, controlling the road in the River Valley of Malki Lom River.
Archaeologists have so far revealed the south wall and two inner rooms of the fortress, reports News.bg.
The coins and pottery found, suggest that the fortress had survived the big Huns and Goths invasions in the V century, as an already fortified settlement of agriculture population.
The ceramic pottery, arrow making tools and other objects found show that life here proceeded through the period of Second Bulgarian kingdom. (ANI)
- 'Vampire' skeletons discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 06, 2012
- Archaeologists start excavation of medieval fortress in Bulgaria - Aug 03, 2009
- Archaeologists uncover intact Thracian settlement in Bulgaria - Jun 24, 2009
- Archaeologists discover previously unknown Roman settlement in Bulgaria - Jun 16, 2009
- Clinton talks military cooperation with Bulgarian PM - Feb 06, 2012
- Unique 10th century Byzantine seal discovered in Bulgaria - Aug 24, 2009
- Archaeologists discover tomb of Bulgarian princess - Aug 04, 2009
- Skeleton of '1st European man' preserved - Jul 11, 2010
- Archaeologists discover relics of medieval saint in Bulgarian fortress - Sep 03, 2009
- Experts find new evidence supporting John the Baptist bones theory - Jun 15, 2012
- 100 new roman artifacts discovered in Macedonia - Nov 18, 2008
- 14 hospitalised after gas leakage in Bulgaria - Dec 17, 2011
- Submerged ancient city to see daylight in Bulgaria - Feb 26, 2009
- St John The Baptist's Remains Found In Bulgaria, Archaeologists Claim - Aug 07, 2010
- MiG-29 crashes during Bulgarian-US drill - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: archaeologists, arrow, bulgaria sofia, bulgarian kingdom, ceramic pottery, coins, defence system, excavation, fortification, fortress, goths, huns, invasions, lom, malki, northern bulgaria, proceeded, romans, ruin