Rudy Giuliani to be security consultant for Rio OlympicsDecember 4th, 2009 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Dec 4 (EFE) The Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro will hire former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani as a security adviser for the 2016 Olympic Games in this city, Governor Sergio Cabral has said.
“I’m going to hire him to strengthen our public security work … He’s going to help us in day-to-day security and, especially, with an eye toward the (2010) World Military Games and the Olympic Games,” Cabral said after lunch Thursday with the former US politician.
Giuliani Thursday met different officials in Rio de Janeiro, where he defended the “zero tolerance” policy that he implemented in the 1990s to combat crime in New York.
In his meeting with Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes, Giuliani spoke about the possibility of implementing zero tolerance here in the state capital, where shootouts between police and drug dealers are common.
Giuliani recalled that in New York he confronted a similar situation and it took six to seven years before results began to be noted.
The former New York mayor praised the policy of invading poverty-stricken “favelas”, or shantytowns, dominated by drug trafficking gangs with police “pacification” brigades, operations which have produced violent armed clashes.
“You are doing a fabulous job,” he said during a speech to police officers.
- Heavy rains kill 93 in Brazil - Apr 07, 2010
- Gunman kills 11 at Rio de Janeiro school before killing self - Apr 07, 2011
- IOC, Brazil to draw up plan of action for Rio 2016 - Oct 31, 2009
- Olympic flag arrives in Rio - Aug 14, 2012
- Brazilian film officials launch campaign to lure Woody Allen to Rio de Janeiro - Oct 14, 2009
- Former FIFA chief asks IOC to pick Rio as 2016 Olympics city - Apr 30, 2009
- Brazilian movie cop urges countrymen to give up guns - May 06, 2011
- Rio to host Laureus World Sports Awards - Sep 09, 2012
- Brazil Senate moves to expel lawmaker linked to crime - May 09, 2012
- Five killed in Brazil anti-drug operation - Apr 21, 2010
- 41 held in Brazil anti-militia operation - Jun 10, 2009
- Maracana will be ready for 2014 World Cup - Apr 11, 2012
- Probe into Brazilian policemen letting shooting victim die - Oct 23, 2009
- Search resumes for missing as toll hits 102 in Brazil rains - Apr 08, 2010
- Rio de Janeiro mayor faces flak for ruining 'world's greatest party' - Feb 13, 2010
Tags: 2016 olympic games, brazilian state, city governor, day security, drug trafficking, eduardo paes, fabulous job, former new york mayor, mayor rudy giuliani, military games, new york mayor, new york mayor rudy, new york mayor rudy giuliani, rio mayor, rudy giuliani, security adviser, sergio cabral, shantytowns, york mayor rudy giuliani, zero tolerance policy