Rudd says will review ban on Lankan, Afghan asylum seekersApril 11th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Apr.11 (ANI): Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has said the freeze on refugee claims by Sri Lankan and Afghans can be revisited and reviewed, but for now, would remain in place.
“It is a matter of suspension being enforced as of now, which means it will be reviewed in the case of one group over a three-month point and a second group, at a six-month point,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Rudd, as saying.
“The reason for that is based on information concerned with the changing security circumstances in the country of origins. Our obligations are to deal with genuine asylum seekers, and those who are not genuine asylum seekers, we send them back to their countries of origin,” he added.
Sri Lankans and Afghans comprise 80 per cent of all boat arrivals, for three and six months respectively.
Rudd’s stand came as a Customs vessel intercepted a boat carrying asylum seekers on Sunday morning northwest of Browse Island off the West Australian coast.
Initial reports said there are 25 passengers and two crew on board. (ANI)
- Australian Government defers processing of Sri Lankan, Afghan asylum claims - Apr 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Australia blocks asylum seekers from Sri Lanka, Afghanistan - Apr 09, 2010
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- Tamil refugees challenge Oz security intelligence ruling - Oct 02, 2010
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- Australian Border Protection Command intercepts suspected people smuggling vessel with 40 on board - Apr 10, 2010
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
- Australia seeks help from Sri Lanka on flow of asylum seekers - Nov 08, 2009
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Australian navy intercepts 119 asylum seekers - Jan 08, 2012
- Detained asylum-seekers' spokesman 'Alex' a smuggler: Sri Lankan Govt. - Nov 07, 2009
- Tamil-smuggling ship charged $20 million for passage - Aug 17, 2010
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: afghan asylum seekers, afghans, australian prime minister, brisbane, circumstances, customs, initial reports, kevin rudd, morning herald, northwest, origins, refugee claims, second group, six months, sri lankan, sri lankans, sunday morning, sydney morning herald