Royal Mail turns down ‘rude’ Bamforth postcard stampsApril 8th, 2011 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 8 (ANI): Britain’s national postal service Royal Mail has rejected Bamforth’s suggestive postcards featuring buxom women displaying their cleavage as stamp designs.
Leeds firm Bamforth applied to have 10 of its vintage cartoons displayed on customised stamps, known as Smilers. The cards were first produced in 1910.
But the Royal Mail officials deemed seven of the pictures too rude.
“Smilers allow customers to personalise their post by combining one of their own photos with a Royal Mail stamp,” the BBC quoted a Royal Mail spokeswoman as saying.
“There are a number of restrictions on images which can be used on Smilers stamps, including images which may be deemed offensive or depict full or partial nudity,” she said.
The Smilers were planned as a limited edition of 200 sets to celebrate a century of cards and were aimed mainly for collectors.
The 10 postcards were each chosen to represent a different decade of the firm’s history but seven were turned down for the stamps.
However, Bamforth Chairman Ian Wallace said, “They are just fun, you take them for what they are, there’s no malice.
“They [the postcards] are not having a go at anyone, we are having a go at everyone actually.
“This is social history and that point seems to be totally lost on the Royal Mail,” he said. (ANI)
- Cherie Blair attends launch of Royal Mail stamps 'dedicated' to Subrata Roy - Apr 11, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth to remain on stamps - Jan 10, 2011
- Usage of postcards, inland letters dip - Jul 11, 2011
- Jharkhand to ban post cards with Koda pictures - Sep 28, 2011
- 'Buxom Bandit' Tonee Walker turns herself in to the police - Jul 10, 2012
- Send out personalised paper cards this New Year - Dec 25, 2011
- Now, stamps on William-Kate wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Royal Mail to release Wills-Kate stamps to celebrate royal wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Patil opens World Philatelic Exhibition in Delhi - Feb 12, 2011
- Stamp of khadi for philatelists at exhibition - Feb 12, 2011
- New stamps on 100th anniversary of Titanic disaster - Apr 05, 2012
- Queen's head to be removed from British stamps? - Dec 19, 2010
- Hindu gods on US 'stamps' - Feb 01, 2010
- Mini Christmas greeting via world's smallest card! - Dec 25, 2010
- Shera stamps do roaring business at Games Village - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: bbc, buxom women, cleavage, decade, ian wallace, leeds, limited edition, malice, national postal, partial nudity, postal service, postcard, postcards, royal mail, smilers, social history, spokeswoman, stamp designs, stamps, vintage cartoons