Round-the-world teen sailor rescuedJune 12th, 2010 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 12 (ANI): The American teenager, who set out on a solo sail round the world, has been rescued from her battered yacht Wild Eyes.
American Abby Sunderland, 16, was taken aboard the fishing vessel Ile De La Reunion on June 12, reports News.com.au.
Sunderland left Los Angeles on January 23 in the hope of becoming the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo and unassisted.
She gave up that goal in April when her yacht needed to be repaired, but continued her journey anyway.
However, her yacht was damaged again in heavy seas, suffering a broken mast off Australia’s west coast on June 10.
Emergency services launched a search and rescue operation and she was located by air on June 11.
It remains unclear where she will be taken, but the Australian Maritime Safety Authority says the decision lies with the master of the 1295-ton Ile De La Reunion.
The vessel is registered in Port Aux Francais in the French-owned Kerguelen Islands, but is known to operate from Reunion Island. (ANI)
- Teenage solo sailor rescued in Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Rescued - Jun 12, 2010
- Abby Sutherland: 16 Year Old Girl Lost At Sea - Jun 11, 2010
- Abby Sunderland: The Lost Sailor Found In Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor found alive in Indian Ocean - Jun 11, 2010
- 16-year-old sailor Abby Sunderland feared lost at sea - Jun 11, 2010
- Urgent:Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Feared Lost; Emergency Rescue Launched - Jun 11, 2010
- Round-the-world-teen-sailor vows solo try won't be last - Jun 13, 2010
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Safe At Home, Feared No One Would Save Her - Jul 01, 2010
- Teenager California sailor Abby Sunderland found alive - Jun 11, 2010
- Abby Sunderland wants to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo - Jan 25, 2010
- Teen Sailor's Family Denies Allegations of Reality Show - Jun 15, 2010
- Round-the-world sailor nears half-way point - Dec 29, 2009
- Missing Californian Teen Sailor, Abby Sunderland, Reported To Be In A Safe And Sound State - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: abby, american teenager, australian maritime safety authority, emergency services, globe, heavy seas, ile de la reunion, journey, kerguelen islands, maritime safety authority, mast, melbourne, news com au, port aux francais, reunion island, search and rescue, sunderland, west coast, wild eyes, yacht