Rosberg fastest in first practice for Turkish GPJune 5th, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, June 5 (DPA) Williams driver Nico Rosberg posted the fastest time in the first free practice session ahead of Sunday’s Turkish Grand Prix here Friday.
World champion Lewis Hamilton was second fastest in a McLaren-Mercedes ahead of Toyota’s Jarno Trulli and Sebastian Vettel in a Red Bull.
Overall leader Jenson Button, who has won five of the season’s six races, was 11th, two places behind his Brawn GP team-mate Rubens Barrichello.
Germany’s Rosberg posted 1 minute 28.952 seconds on the 5.338- kilometre Istanbul Park circuit, with Britain’s Hamilton 0.311 seconds back on 1:29.263 and Italy’s Trulli on 1:29,271.
Ferrari’s Felipe Massa, who has won in Istanbul from pole position for the past three years, was fifth fastest in the session.
Team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was seventh, a place behind Kazuki Nakajima in a Williams and one ahead of Renault’s Fernando Alonso.
Ferrari are hoping to mount a stronger challenge after Raikkonen finished third and Massa fourth in Monaco two weeks ago.
A second practice session will be held later. Training on Saturday will determine grid positions for Sunday’s race.
Button commands the standings with 51 points, with Barrichello on 35 points and Vettel on 23.
- Last-gasp pole for Vettel in Istanbul (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Domineering Hamilton wins Hungarian GP - Jul 29, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Barrichello takes pole in chaotic conditions - Oct 18, 2009
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Massa sets pace in free practice for Turkish Grand Prix - Jun 06, 2009
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Rosberg sets pace in second practice at Bahrain GP - Apr 20, 2012
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensational pole for Force India's Fisichella in Spa - Aug 29, 2009
- Button wins again as Vettle makes early mistake - Jun 07, 2009
- Red Bull's Webber claims Turkish GP pole - May 29, 2010
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: brawn, fastest time, felipe massa, fernando alonso, free practice session, gp team, grid positions, jarno trulli, jenson button, kimi raikkonen, lewis hamilton, mclaren mercedes, nakajima, nico rosberg, pole position, race button, rubens barrichello, sebastian vettel, team mate, world champion