Ronaldo’s Corinthians win Sao Paulo state championshipMay 4th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, May 4 (DPA) The Corinthians, with veteran striker Ronaldo as their main star, have won the Sao Paulo state football championship.
“Timao”, as the Corinthians are known, were unbeaten in the tournament and drew 1-1 Sunday against Santos. They would have won the championship even with a Sunday defeat, provided that they did not lose by more than two goals.
“The goal for the rest of the year is to win the Brazilian Cup and the Brazilian Championship. We have to stay in this line of play and win everything,” Ronaldo said at the end of the game.
At Pacaembu stadium, Kleber Pereira opened the score for Santos from the spot in the 28th minute. Santos continued to dominate the game after that and had several good chances.
However, the Corinthians remained calm and equalised through Andre Santos five minutes later.
Ronaldo, 32, was in the Corinthians’ attack, but he was well-covered by Domingos. There was tension between the two men, and the Santos defender was sent off in the second half.
Ronaldo - FIFA World Player of the Year in 1996, 1997 and 2002 - returned to Brazil this year, after 14 seasons in European football, with PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Milan.
When he joined the Corinthians, Ronaldo was overweight and out of form after a 13-month absence because of a knee injury. However, in ten games with the Brazilian club he scored eight goals and showed that he is still a force to be reckoned with. The title, Ronaldo noted, “is a reward for all the work”.
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Corinthians come from behind, Santos draw in season opener - Jan 22, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Corinthians shock Santos in Libertadores semis - Jun 14, 2012
- Boca beat Universidad in Copa Libertadores semis - Jun 15, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
- Tite considers dropping Corinthians striker Liedson - Mar 23, 2012
- Corinthians win record eighth Sao Paulo Juniors Cup - Jan 26, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Neymar hat-trick gives Santos emphatic win - Mar 30, 2012
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012
- Luis Fabiano leads Sao Paulo to victory - Mar 12, 2012
- Stoppage-time header from gives Fluminense victory - Apr 19, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
- Corinthians maintain lead in Brazilian championship - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: absence, barcelona, brazilian championship, corinthians, five minutes, inter milan, kleber, knee injury, pacaembu, pereira, psv eindhoven, real madrid, ronaldo, sao paulo state, second half, state football championship, tension, timao, two men, world player of the year