Ronaldo should be lauded for his courage, not condemned for cockiness: FergusonMarch 7th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 7 (ANI): Sir Alex Ferguson has said that Cristiano Ronaldo should be respected because he is prepared to make himself a target to entertain his fans.
The Manchester United boss admitted that he accepted his old foe Arsene Wenger was right to suggest that Ronaldos arrogance invited opposing defenders to attack him.
Ferguson says such special attention is an occupational hazard for the world player of the year, but believes Ronaldo should be lauded for his courage, not condemned for cockiness.
Arsene said that sometimes it appears as arrogance, not that Cristiano is arrogant, and that’’s different. I can understand what he’’s saying. When a player expresses himself in such an entertaining way, defenders don”t enjoy it, The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
It was exactly the same with George Best when he was a player. Its not that theyre prepared to do what they do but that theyve the courage to do it. Thats the wonderful courage Cristiano has, that hes always prepared to entertain and do something good with the ball.
On Wednesday, Newcastle Uniteds Alan Smith, who escaped punishment, scythed the European Footballer of the Year down.
Ronaldo was also struck in the face by Newcastles right back, Steven Taylor, but the FA said no punishment would be taken against Taylor.
Ronaldo himself was cautioned for diving in Sundays Carling Cup final, a booking that outraged Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. (ANI)
- Opponents target Ronaldo for his arrogance: Arsene Wenger - Mar 06, 2009
- Gunners star Nasri says Man U has lost its aura - Dec 12, 2010
- Fergie says he would spend 60 m pounds only on Ronaldo - May 02, 2010
- FA centre at Burton, the biggest step England has taken in 30 years: Fergie - Nov 18, 2010
- Man U lack 'Cristiano Ronaldo' factor: Ferguson - Apr 29, 2011
- Berbatov set 30-goal target, assured of long-term Man U future - Jan 29, 2011
- Rooney will prove his worth very soon: Ronaldo - Oct 29, 2010
- Ronaldo wins libel payout from The Daily Telegraph - Nov 08, 2010
- Rooney 'apologized to me' and players before signing new Man U contract: Ferguson - Oct 23, 2010
- 'Bad' game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier Legaue - Mar 10, 2011
- Champions League final in Barcelona is Fergie's favourite match - Nov 18, 2010
- Ronaldo hopes to end his career at Madrid - Sep 07, 2011
- Ferguson hits back at Wenger's 'Scholes' darker side' jibe - Aug 28, 2010
- Ferguson backs Man U's 'collective unit' to overcome 'Ronaldo' factor - Apr 30, 2011
- Wenger vows to fight on - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: alan smith, alex ferguson, arrogance, boss, carling cup, cockiness, courage, european footballer of the year, foe, footballer of the year, london, manchester united, newcastle, occupational hazard, ronaldo, sir alex ferguson, steven taylor, target, uniteds, world player of the year