Romney’s comment of ‘hanging Obama’ sparks controversyMay 1st, 2011 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 1 (ANI): Comments by Mitt Romney, the front-runner for the Republican party’s 2012 presidential nomination, about ‘hanging’ US President Barack Obama has sparked controversy.
Romney, a former governor of Massachusetts, made the comment while recalling the so-called “misery index” that Ronald Reagan used to attack Jimmy Carter’s economic record in the United States in the 1980, The Telegraph reports.
“Reagan had hung that around Jimmy Carter’s neck. Well, we’re going to have to hang the ‘Obama Misery Index’ around his neck,” Romney said.
“Housing foreclosures and bankruptcies and higher taxation: we’re going to hang him with that. So to speak - metaphorically, you have to be careful these days,” he added.
Dismissing suggestions that Romney’s comment was inappropriate in light of the fact that Obama is black, his spokesman said that the former’s comment did not indicate literally hanging the President.
“It is not what the governor meant and that was very clear in what he actually said. It’s a ridiculous exaggeration of his actual comments,” he said. (ANI)
- Santorum stuns Romney in US presidential race - Feb 08, 2012
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
- Gingrich finally calls it quits (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Romney promises to deliver what Obama could not - Aug 31, 2012
- Bobby Jindal intensifies attack on Obama - Jul 19, 2012
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Ann Coulter opens up on Piers Morgan show - Jun 08, 2011
- Romney blooper has Republicans backtracking - Sep 19, 2012
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- Romney picks up two big endorsements - Mar 30, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Lech Walesa wishes success to Mitt Romney - Jul 31, 2012
- Santorum sweeps south; setback for Romney - Mar 14, 2012
- Bobby Jindal backs Romney as Santorum quits - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: bankruptcies, barack obama, controversy, economic record, exaggeration, foreclosures, governor of massachusetts, jimmy carter, may 1, misery index, mitt romney, presidential nomination, republican party, ronald reagan, sparks, spokesman said that, taxation, telegraph reports, united states