Romney wins New Hampshire Republican Party Committee Straw PollJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 5:40 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 23 (ANI): Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney has won the first presidential straw poll of New Hampshire Republican State Committee members sponsored by ABC News and WMUR and sanctioned by the state Republican Party.
Romney won with 35 percent of the total vote, beating second-place finisher Ron Paul, R-Texas, by 24 points, the Politico reports.
Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who visits the state this week, had 8 percent, with 2008 vice presidential nominee former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin at 7 percent.
The Politico quoted New Hampshire Republican consultant Jim Merrill, who ran Romney’s New Hampshire PAC in 2008, as saying: “It shows that Romney has a core of support here in the state and they are obviously part of the party structure and they came out and gave him their support today.”
The “straw poll” was open to the 426 registered members of the New Hampshire Republican State Committee. Sixty-five percent participated. (ANI)
- Mitt Romney slightly ahead of potential 2012 GOP presidential candidates: Poll - Jan 25, 2011
- Romney, Palin clear leaders for 2012 GOP presidential primary - Oct 01, 2010
- Palin's popularity plummets to all time low even among Republican voters, finds poll - Feb 15, 2011
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Donald Trump's approval ratings top Romney and Pawlenty - Mar 07, 2011
- Republican lawmaker Pawlenty apologizes for cap-and-trade support - May 01, 2011
- Palin gets no vote in recent GOP straw poll - Feb 23, 2011
- Trump takes lead in GOP primary race, beats other Republicans: Poll - Apr 17, 2011
- Rivals outpace Palin on fund-raising front - Apr 14, 2010
- Romney coasts to second victory in a row - Feb 05, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to run - Mar 22, 2011
- Obama's rating plunges, yet ahead of GOP rivals: Poll - Apr 20, 2011
- Mitt Romney to announce his 2012 Presidential bid next week - May 27, 2011
- Obama leads Romney in poll - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: abc news, alaska gov, committee members, gov tim pawlenty, governor mitt romney, massachusetts governor, minnesota gov tim pawlenty, mitt romney, party committee, party structure, place finisher, presidential nominee, presidential straw poll, republican consultant, republican state committee, ron paul, sarah palin, state republican party, tim pawlenty, wmur