Romario says he had sex on a plane on a trip with BrazilApril 22nd, 2008 - 1:25 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, April 22 (DPA) Veteran Brazilian striker Romario has put an end to his career, but not to his characteristic verbosity: he confessed to having sex on a plane during a trip with the Brazilian national team, and claimed he thinks he is “better than Pele”. In comments to the TV programme Fantastico, on the channel Rede Globo, the small-built Romario, 42, said late Sunday that he had sex on a plane.
“I did it when I started out at the national team, in the first trip. I cannot remember exactly when. We took a plane in Switzerland, and the rest was just that,” the former striker said.
Romario - who by his own controversial count scored over 1,000 goals in his long career - insisted that he was “the best of them all” inside the box.
“Since I did not see Pele play, I think I am better than him. I also know that there is only one Pele. There is only one Maradona. And Romario is unique. I do not see a successor. Inside the box I was the best of them all,” he said.
Romario - who retired early this month - laughed as he recalled that he “ran away” from team lock-ins whenever he could, both with Brazil and with the clubs he played for.
“At (the game between) Brazil and Uruguay in 1993 I ran away from the hotel and went to a different one. In the Copa America, outside Brazil, in Bolivia, I ran away too,” he said.
“In the 1994 (World) Cup I left the hotel at least twice to go for a walk. I was always one to escape. Nobody knew about it. I did not even see it myself!” he laughed.
Romario - who has five children - said he underwent a vasectomy but does not rule out having another child, given that he kept samples of his own semen at a laboratory just in case.
The thousand-goal-man admitted that he gets very “nervous” when he has to board a plane, that he is scared of getting a fish bone stuck in his throat and that he would rather see dogs from afar (”me here, them over there”).
Romario played for Vasco da Gama, among other Brazilian clubs, and for PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona and Valencia, as well as for clubs in the US Qatar and Australia.
- Hulk hits back at Romario criticism - Jul 08, 2012
- Menezes to blame for Brazil's Olympic agony, says Romario - Aug 12, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Doctor who helped Pele father twins on run after sexually assault, rape convictions - Jan 24, 2011
- Olympic football: Pele hoping for historic Brazil victory - Aug 10, 2012
- Santos preparing offer to keep Neymar beyond 2014 - Apr 06, 2012
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- Romario supports Ronaldo's run for president of CBF - Mar 24, 2012
- Brazilian soccer heroes look to politics - Sep 24, 2010
- A football package at Goa festival - Nov 27, 2011
- Romario happy to visit Kolkata, congratulate upcoming footballers - Jul 20, 2010
- Brazilian teen star likely to snub Chelsea's 30 million pound Drogba replacement offer - Mar 31, 2011
- Robinho expected to return to Santos from AC Milan - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: brazilian national team, copa america, dpa, first trip, fish bone, having sex, ins, maradona, pele, rede globo, rio de janeiro, romario, semen, sex on a plane, striker, tv programme, vasco da gama, vasectomy, verbosity, world cup