Romanian woman says 10-yr-old daughter giving birth is a normal ritualNovember 4th, 2010 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 04 (ANI): The Romanian gypsy woman, whose 10-year-old daughter gave birth to a baby in Spain recently, is puzzled the case is getting so much attention, as she says it is a normal ritual for them.
The woman, who identified herself as only Olimpia and appears to be in her 30s, said that she is delighted to have a granddaughter, and that her daughter plans to stay on in Spain with the baby.
She also revealed that her daughter giving birth at such a young age is not surprising because as Romanian Gypsies, or Roma, their custom allows girls to marry young even though that is against the law in Romania.
“That’s the way we get married,” the Scotsman quoted her as telling reporters outside the modest apartment building in the southern town of Lebrija in Andalucia where the family lives.
Romanian law allows girls to get married at age 16 with parental consent, or at 18 without it.
But arranged “marriages” between teenagers are relatively common among Roma, who make up about 1.5 million of Romania’s 22 million people.
Families “marry off” daughters when they reach puberty, with the “husband” usually being a couple of years older. The marriages are not recognised by the state.
The latest statistics show that 177 girls under the age of 15 gave birth in Spain in 2008. (ANI)
- Mom happy that her daughter, 10, gave birth - Nov 05, 2010
- Girl,10, who gave birth, lived with partner in Romania - Nov 07, 2010
- 10-Year-Old Minor Gives Birth To A Baby In Spain - Nov 03, 2010
- 10-year-old Romanian girl gives birth in Spain - Nov 03, 2010
- 23-year-old Romanian becomes world's youngest granny - Mar 07, 2011
- Granny at 23! - Mar 07, 2011
- Ruby the heart stealer gives birth to girl - Dec 21, 2011
- Rifca Stanescu becomes the world's youngest grandmother at 23 - Mar 07, 2011
- Two held in Italy for forcing 10-year-old to marry - Jun 04, 2012
- 10 year old Colombian girl gives birth - Aug 23, 2012
- From a mud hut to Paris - the Roma life struggle - Sep 21, 2010
- Bachchans give huge fillip to the 'girl child' in India - Nov 23, 2011
- 'Full House' star Jodie Sweetin celebrates her 30th birthday - Jan 20, 2012
- Indian Muslims split over wedding age ruling - Jun 08, 2012
- Court order promotes 'balika vadhus' among Muslims: Thackeray - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: 5 million, andalucia, apartment building, girls, giving birth, granddaughter, gypsy woman, lebrija, london, olimpia, parental consent, puberty, romania, romanian gypsies, scotsman, spain, statistics, teenagers