Romanian pleads guilty to theft of Hitler bookmarkMarch 13th, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco/Seattle, March 13 (DPA) An immigrant to the US from Romania had pleaded guilty to charges that he stole a bookmark that apparently belonged to Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler from an auction house in Madrid in 2002, the Seattle Times reported.
The gold bookmark was allegedly first given to Adolf Hitler by his mistress Eva Braun to console him after German forces surrendered at Stalingrad in 1943.
The bookmark is engraved with a portrait of Hitler as well as an imperial eagle and swastika. “My Adolf, don’t worry,” it reads in German, adding that the loss was “only an inconvenience that will not break your certainty of victory. My love for you will be eternal, as our Reich will be eternal. Always yours, Eva. 3-2-43.”
Christain Popescu, 37, pleaded guilty to a single count of sale or receipt of stolen goods. He faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced June 12, but will likely face six months in prison under a plea agreement.
He was arrested in November outside a Seattle-area Starbucks after trying to sell the bookmark to an undercover agent for $100,000.
- Stolen ''Adolf Hitler''s gold bookmark'' recovered in US - Nov 27, 2008
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- Photo of Adolf Hitler's lover Eva Braun dressed as black man emerges - Mar 11, 2011
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- I've challenged myself with 'Dear Friend Hitler': Neha Dhupia - Apr 18, 2011
- Hitler enjoyed bread, marmalade for breakfast - Oct 29, 2010
- Eva Braun's pictures helped Ruchi Pugalia design Neha's clothes - Jul 26, 2011
- Hitler had son with French teen - Feb 18, 2012
- My name is being used for publicity: Anupam Kher - Jul 20, 2011
- Nazi surgical set withdrawn from auction - Feb 11, 2012
- Nazi soldiers given highly addictive crystal meth to fight longer, harder - Mar 31, 2011
- Rare Hitler colour photos found - Jan 12, 2012
- FBI believed Hitler 'faked his own death with a bogus suicide' in 1945 - Apr 10, 2011
- Hitler's Viagra made from semen, young bulls - Feb 06, 2010
Tags: 10 years, adolf hitler, auction house, francisco seattle, german forces, immigrant, imperial eagle, inconvenience, mistress eva braun, nazi dictator, plea agreement, receipt, romania, seattle area, seattle times, six months, stalingrad, starbucks, swastika, undercover agent