Roma hammer Parma in Serie AMarch 2nd, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by admin
Milan, March 2 (DPA) Second-place Roma have crushed visiting Parma 4-0 moving six points clear of the top in Serie A. The young Alberto Aquilani Saturday put Roma one up before an own goal and final efforts from Francesco Totti and Mirko Vucinic doomed Parma to a defeat that held them dangerously close to the three-team drop zone.
Parma started fast at the Stadio Olimpico but created a single chance on 20 minutes as play maker Andrea Gasbarroni set up Igor Budan on the right flank for a drive well saved by Alexander Doni.
A wide header from Rodrigo Taddei five minutes later signalled that Roma, who Wednesday meet Real Madrid in the Champions League, didn’t mean to run further risks against the visiting minnows.
Aquilani triggered the action that led to his goal on 27 minutes, defending the ball in midfield to inspire an attack on the left flank.
Brazilian Mancini sent away Max Tonetto, who centred a low nasty cross that goalkeeper Luca Bucci failed to properly clear favouring Aquilani’s tap-in.
Six minutes after the break, Bucci was fooled by Giulio Falcone as the defender tried to cut off the onrushing Christian Panucci and Totti drilled home one of his trademark drives with 10 minutes left.
The goal was the best way for Totti to celebrate his 388th game with Roma. No other footballer played as many games for the Rome side.
A defence blunder allowed Montenegro substitute Vucinic to flick home from close range in injury time.
Roma have 55 points from 26 games, while Parma, on 25 points, lie just two notches above third-from-bottom Livorno.
Later Saturday, AC Milan drew 1-1 at home against 10-man Lazio, remaining one point shy of fourth-placed Fiorentina.
The Florence side, on 44 points, occupy the last available Champions League berth ahead of a game at third-place Juventus.
Milan are the title holders in the elite tournament and Tuesday face a final-16 return match against Arsenal after a scoreless draw in the away game.
- Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over Udinese - Feb 05, 2010
- Roma struggle to keep narrow lead despite dismissal - Jan 10, 2010
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Juventus beat Atalanta to lead midway in Serie A - Jan 22, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Baptista's brace helps Roma to beat Sampdoria - Jan 15, 2009
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Buffon saves Totti's penalty to extend Juventus' unbeaten streak - Dec 13, 2011
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Inter Milan hammer Roma to clinch Serie A lead - Oct 20, 2008
- Solid newcomers Parma hold on to fourth place - Dec 07, 2009
- Inter draw 0-0 with Roma in Italian Serie A - Sep 18, 2011
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: ac milan, alberto aquilrodrigo taddei, alexander doni, christian panucci, close range, drop zone, final efforts, footballer, francesco totti, giulio falcone, igor budan, injury time, left flank, max tonetto, minnows, notches, real madrid, return match, stadio olimpico