Roma edges Milan to close in on Inter in Serie AMarch 16th, 2008 - 2:12 pm ICT by admin
Milan, March 16 (DPA) Second placed Roma rallied to clinch a 2-1 victory over visiting AC Milan Saturday that pushed them within three points of Serie A leaders Inter Milan. Roma have now 61 points, while defending champions Inter look to improve on their 64 points Sunday at home against Palermo.
Strikers Ludovic Giuly and Mirko Vucinic reversed the score with late goals after Kaka gave Milan the lead 11 minutes after the break.
The in-form Dutchman Clarence Seedorf provided a first useful feed for Kaka on the 26th minute, while Roma captain Francesco Totti missed a mouthwatering chance firing wide three minutes later.
Seedorf tried to break into the area with no luck before Brazil star Kaka on the 38th minute missed another header in a fairly dull first half.
There was more action after the break and on the 53rd minute Seedorf once again threatened Roma goal with a low drive, which was well saved by custodian Alexander Doni.
Milan continued to attack and were on target three minutes later as Kaka volleyed past his compatriot goalkeeper off a cross from Massimo Oddo.
With Roma on the ropes, Doni had to block a spurt from Seedorf and later a Kaka effort off an Andrea Pirlo assist, before coach Luciano Spalletti brought on match winners Giuly and Vucinic.
The Frenchman Giuly levelled on the 78th minute, flicking home the equaliser and three minutes later, Montenegro’s Vucinic beat Zeljko Kalac with a precise drive off a Totti assist to put Roma ahead.
Milan remained rooted in fifth position on 46 points and failed to leapfrog fourth-place Fiorentina in the race for the four available Champions League berths. The Florence side lead Milan by one point ahead of a home game to Genoa.
Udinese moved up to 41 points after an earlier 2-2 draw with mid-table Lazio and occupied the sixth place that grants the team their second UEFA Cup berth.
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Juventus rout Fiorentina 5-0, close in on Milan - Mar 18, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over Udinese - Feb 05, 2010
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Monaco coach drops former French striker Giuly - Jun 29, 2012
- Roma struggle to keep narrow lead despite dismissal - Jan 10, 2010
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Juventus hold Milan 2-2 to enter Coppa Italia final - Mar 21, 2012
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Inter draw 0-0 with Roma in Italian Serie A - Sep 18, 2011
- Inter Milan hammer Roma to clinch Serie A lead - Oct 20, 2008
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: 53rd, ac milan, alexander doni, clarence seedorf, compatriot, dutchman, equaliser, fifth position, fiorentina, francesco totti, giuly, home game, inter milan, kalac, massimo oddo, mid table, mirko vucinic, strikers, target, three minutes