Roger wants to make sure pregnant Mirka weathers heat (French Open diary)May 26th, 2009 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 26 (DPA) Roger Federer finds it easy to beat the heat which characterised the opening days of the French Open, but it’s his pregnant wife Mirka about whom he’s more concerned.
“It’s (keeping cool) even more important for her than for me,” said the second seed who trains in the off-season in the 45 Celsius of Dubai.
“She likes watching me when I play. She wants to be here for each and every single match, but it’s too warm. Maybe if she needs a bit of fresh air, no problem.”
Federer married his longtime girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec in April just before the start of the clay season. Mirka is due to give birth in late summer, so watching her health is the top priority off the court for Federer.
The 13-time Grand Slam winner, says he has never relied on a lot of support during his matches.
“I don’t really watch them (his team) very often. Five times per match only, so it’s quite simple. I prefer if she’s here. And if she’s feeling good, it’s simpler for me.”
Sharapova happy to be back on court
Former number one Maria Sharapova is negotiating unfamiliar tennis territory as she returns from shoulder surgery as ranked 102nd, fighting to restore a career which has yielded three Grand Slam titles.
“It’s the first time in my life where I couldn’t practise for long. I think for three months I didn’t touch the tennis racket,” said the 22-year-old who last played a match in August before her operation.
“Everything about it (missing so much tennis) was just bizarre. Some things were just taken away from your life.
“Even though it’s obviously stressful because you don’t know if you’re ever going to get the chance to be out here playing again, you always have to be positive. There are many days where I’m really hesitant.
“There are so many different paths, so many voices, so many opinions - at the end of the day you have to try and choose the right one.”
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer works off nerves at Haiti charity event - Jan 17, 2010
- Henin ousts Sharapova at French Open - May 30, 2010
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Federer storms back in 2009 - Dec 12, 2009
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Henman says it would be risky to write Federer off - Jul 02, 2010
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Petkovic says bet with coach triggered unique post-match 'Petko Dance' - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: celsius, french open, french open diary, grand slam titles, grand slam winner, longtime girlfriend, many different paths, many voices, maria sharapova, mirka, practise, pregnant wife, roger federer, shoulder surgery, single match, tennis racket, time in my life, top priority, vavrinec, weathers