Robert Blake is new US pointperson for South AsiaApril 25th, 2009 - 10:19 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 25 (IANS) President Barack Obama has named the US ambassador to Sri Lanka, Robert Blake, to replace Richard Boucher as the assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs dealing with India and Pakistan.
In announcing his nomination by Obama, the White House noted Blake was also deputy chief of mission at the US Mission in New Delhi from 2003 to 2006.
If approved by the Senate, Blake will also deal with Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
A veteran diplomat, Blake as ambassador to Colombo and the Maldives, has urged Sri Lankan officials to let civilians leave a safe zone where they are trapped with Tamil Tiger rebels waging a last stand in a 26-year civil war.
A foreign service officer since 1985, Blake has also served at the US embassies in Tunisia, Algeria, Nigeria and Egypt. He also has held a number of positions at the State Department in Washington.
Blake earned a bachelor of arts from Harvard College in 1980 and a masters in international relations from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in 1984.
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- Blake approved as US pointsman for South Asia - May 21, 2009
- Robert Blake appointed new Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia - Apr 26, 2009
- SAARC to get first woman secretary general - Jan 18, 2011
- Ranjan Mathai takes charge as foreign secretary - Aug 01, 2011
- 17th SAARC Summit to take place in Maldives - Jan 02, 2011
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- Ranjan Mathai named India's new foreign secretary (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- South Asia hand Burleigh takes charge of US mission - Jul 01, 2011
- Ranjan Mathai to take charge as foreign secretary Monday - Jul 31, 2011
- Four top US officials to visit Sri Lanka - Jan 12, 2012
- US official reaches Maldives - Feb 11, 2012
- India steps up diplomatic outreach to stabilise Maldives - Feb 10, 2012
- India win gold in South Asian Beach Games - Oct 10, 2011
- Punish the war guilty, US tells Sri Lanka - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: assistant secretary, bachelor of arts, barack obama, civilians, deputy chief, diplomat, embassies, foreign service officer, harvard college, india and pakistan, johns hopkins school, last stand, masters in international relations, richard boucher, robert blake, safe zone, South Asia, south asian affairs, sri lankan, tamil tiger rebels