Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and TobagoJune 11th, 2012 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Port-of-Spain, June 11 (IANS) An Indian bank here was targeted by four robbers who tied up three Indian employees and demanded keys to the vault. Policemen who were passing by noticed the heist and nabbed them.
The four people charged with the robbery in the Bank of Baroda branch will appear before a Port-of-Spain Magistrate Court Monday.
The bank employees were robbed of jewellery, cellphones and cash worth $600 last Wednesday night at the bank’s Port-of-Spain branch located at Independence Square.
The robbery came to light when three policemen who were patrolling noticed that the bank’s door had been smashed. Inside the bank, they found the four robbers, aged 20-29, demanding keys to the vault, estimated to store millions of dollars.
Three Indian employees — Sandeep Sinat, Mahadeo Meeda and Ranjit Kumar — were tied with duct tape. Two security guards had also been tied up.
The robbers were promptly arrested.
Top officials, including the country’s National Security Minister Brig. John Sandy and Chief of Defence Staff Kenrick Maharaj, as well as Indian High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago Malay Mishra visited the bank.
Bank of Baroda opened its first branch in the city in 2007.
(Paras Ramoutar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Indian bank clocks 120 percent growth in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 24, 2011
- Indian firm to open new office in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 22, 2012
- First Indian film fest in Trinidad and Tobago - Nov 18, 2010
- Lessons in tabla, dholak in Trinidad schools - Apr 08, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago celebrates Holi - Mar 12, 2012
- Indian to be admin head of largest Caribbean bank - Oct 16, 2011
- India to help develop Trinidad as ICT hub - Jan 27, 2012
- Bank of Baroda to open more branches in Trinidad - Jun 14, 2010
- Indian businessman abducted in Trinidad and Tobago - Mar 13, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago seeks India's help in broadband service - Oct 02, 2011
- 'Commonwealth leaders should reconnect with electorate' (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Police gun down five 'robbers' in Chennai (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Dulha Mil Gaya' opens Indian film festival in Trinidad - Nov 20, 2010
- India to showcase export potential in Trinidad - May 09, 2010
Tags: brig, cellphones, defence staff, duct tape, heist, independence square, indian high commissioner, magistrate court, mahadeo, malay, mishra, policemen, port of spain, ranjit kumar, robbers, robbery, security guards, security minister, spain branch, trinidad and tobago