Roadside bomb blast kills eight Afghan civilians

May 27th, 2008 - 4:22 pm ICT by admin  

Kabul, May 27 (DPA) A roadside bomb blast in south-western Afghanistan killed eight civilians, while A US-led coalition soldier has died from injuries he sustained in an accident, officials said Tuesday. A mini-bus carrying passengers was blown up by a roadside bomb in Del Aram district in Farah province Tuesday morning, Younus Rasouli, deputy provincial governor told DPA.

“Eight people, all of them civilians were killed in this attack,” Rasouli said, adding that police units were deployed to the area to assist with evacuation.

Abdul Mutalib Rad, spokesman for the police forces in western zone, also confirmed the incident and said one civilian was wounded.

Rad blamed Taliban militants for the attack and said the road where the attack took place is often frequented by Afghan and foreign forces in the province.

The foreign soldier died in south-eastern province of Paktika province, US military said in a statement, but did not identify the nationality of the deceased soldier. Most of the troops serving under coalition forces are US soldiers.

More than 60 international soldiers have been killed this year, while a total of 232 NATO soldiers were killed in Taliban-led violence last year.

In another incident, one civilian was killed and three others were wounded in a roadside attack in eastern Nangarhar province on Monday, Abdul Ghafoor, spokesman for the provincial police chief said.

He said the civilians were digging the ground on a dirt road in Roghano district when the explosion took place. Ghafoor could not say if it was a freshly planted mine, or left over from three decades of turmoil in the country.

Taliban militants, who lost power in a US military invasion in late 2001, have been increasingly relying on the use of roadside and suicide attacks as part of their war against Afghan and international forces.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |