Rio de Janeiro launches bid for 2016 OlympicsJune 24th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 24 (Xinhua) Rio de Janeiro mayor Cesar Maia Monday transferred $500,000 dollars to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to launch the city’s bid for the 2016 Olympic Summer Games. At the transfer authorisation ceremony, Maia said the payment proves the government’s keenness in hosting the first Olympic Games in South America.
The transfer document was signed during the celebration of the Olympic Day when, for the first time, the Rio de Janeiro flag was raised as a candidate city.
Members of the commission of the Rio-2016 candidature, sports figures, and former president of the International Football Federation (FIFA) and IOC member Joao Havelange were among those who attended the function.
“We will have a hard work until Oct. 2, 2009. I hope it to be an unforgettable day for Brazilian sports, if Rio de Janeiro is chosen,” Havelenage said.
The “Marvellous City” competes with Madrid (Spain), Chicago (U.S.) and Tokyo (Japan), the four cities must hand in the details of their projects by Feb. 2009.
- Havelange stadium not a taint to Rio 2016, say organisers - Aug 10, 2012
- Former FIFA president Havelange admitted to ICU - Apr 10, 2012
- Brazil lobbies for surfing at Rio 2016 Olympics - Apr 05, 2012
- 2016 Olympic committee denies lapses in relocation of residents - Sep 28, 2011
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Former FIFA chief asks IOC to pick Rio as 2016 Olympics city - Apr 30, 2009
- Rio expects thumbs up from olympic committee - Sep 24, 2009
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
- Olympic flag arrives in Rio - Aug 14, 2012
- Chinese company to supply Olympics pin badges for 2016 Rio Games - Aug 05, 2012
- Brazil to invest in individual sports to boost Olympic tally - Jul 28, 2012
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: 2016 olympics, candidate city, candidature, cesar maia, city members, fifa, first olympic games, former president, international football federation, international olympic committee, keenness, madrid spain, olympic games, olympic summer games, rio de janeiro, sports figures, tokyo japan, transfer document, unforgettable day, xinhua