Ring finger length linked to male libidoSeptember 6th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 6 (IANS) The length of a man’s fourth (ring) finger has been linked to his libido. The more testosterone a foetus is exposed to, the longer the ring finger is supposed to be.
Which explains why men’s fourth fingers are usually longer than their index (next to the thumb) fingers, while the reverse is true in women.
Now scientists have figured out that the fourth finger’s size depends on levels of the male and female sex hormones in the foetus, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
Ring finger length has been linked with sperm count, aggression and sports prowess, while high testosterone levels are tied with a higher sex drive, according to the Daily Mail.
Martin Cohn and Zhengui Zheng, biologists at the University of Florida, say the fourth finger is packed with receptors for sex hormones.
They took groups of pregnant mice - a species with a similar finger-length ratio to humans - and controlled the genes which affect their oestrogen and testosterone levels.
Increased testosterone affected the size of the ring finger in the hind paws of the baby mice, which are like the human left hand in being receptive to sex hormones.
Cohn said: “Sex hormones affect finger length, and the ratio is fixed before the bone has even developed.”
- Women prefer 'men with longer ring fingers' - Apr 20, 2011
- Early humans more promiscuous than modern-day people - Nov 04, 2010
- High hormone levels drove cavemen to promiscuity - Nov 04, 2010
- Neanderthals were more promiscuous than modern humans - Nov 03, 2010
- Hormone behind finger length linked to social behaviour - Nov 05, 2009
- Finger length predicts prostate cancer risk: Study - Dec 01, 2010
- Long ring finger may mean you're at prostate cancer risk - Jul 21, 2010
- For better sex drive, enjoy sunshine - Feb 08, 2012
- Testosterone therapy can overcome male menopause - Oct 03, 2011
- Soon, oestrogen therapy with no side-effects! - Apr 12, 2011
- Men with ring fingers longer than indexes run faster - Mar 14, 2009
- Men with long ring finger 'three times more likely to get prostate cancer' - Jul 21, 2010
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
- Potbellied men ' likelier to go blind' - Apr 01, 2011
- Technophobia 'sprouts up while we are still in the womb' - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: baby mice, biologists, daily mail, female sex hormones, finger length, foetus, high testosterone levels, journal proceedings, length ratio, male libido, martin cohn, national academy of sciences, oestrogen, pregnant mice, proceedings of the national academy, proceedings of the national academy of sciences, receptors, ring finger, sex drive, university of florida