Right to vote sought for rapists, paedophiles in BritainApril 1st, 2011 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 1 (IANS) A top Eurocrat has left many people red-faced by advocating voting rights for rapists, paedophiles, and murderers irrespective of opposition by politicians in Westminster and throughout Britain.
Thomas Hammarberg, the Council of Europe’s Commissioner for Human Rights, has accused Britain of “undermining a crucial dimension of the very concept of democracy” by denying convicted murderers, rapists and paedophiles a say in elections, the Daily Express reported.
Britain’s 141-year-old blanket ban on inmates getting the vote “does not correspond to the European values of our times”, argued the Swedish-born former head of Amnesty International.
“Prisoners, though deprived of physical liberty, have human rights,” the bureaucrat said.
“Measures should be taken to ensure that imprisonment does not undermine rights which are unconnected to the intention of the punishment.”
Hammarberg’s demand comes as the British government awaits a response from the European Court of Human Rights to a massive vote at Westminster against allowing prisoners in the voting booth.
Prime Minister David Cameron, meanwhile, has said the idea of prisoners getting the vote made him feel “physically ill”.
- Now in UK, one in three sex offenders, muggers will get right to vote - Jan 06, 2011
- Rapists, killers challenge UK govt. over right to benefits - Feb 20, 2011
- British prisoners to get voting rights - Nov 02, 2010
- Britons appalled as criminals not deported: Indian-origin MP - Sep 08, 2011
- Ear-slicing Bulgarian to be deported from Britain - Sep 14, 2012
- EU rights rulings having a 'chilling effect' on public safety, warns peer - Apr 21, 2011
- Amnesty favours trial of rights violators in Kashmir - Feb 08, 2012
- Indian-origin MP faces racist attack in Britain - Feb 06, 2011
- UK told to free prisoners over breach of human rights - Sep 18, 2012
- Outrage as Amnesty sacks Indian rights campaigner - Feb 09, 2010
- Outrage as Amnesty sacks Indian rights campaigner (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- UAE attorney general hails amnesty for 554 prisoners - Nov 28, 2011
- Kerala's ex-minister to be freed under amnesty scheme - Oct 31, 2011
- European Human Rights court rulings making UK 'safe heaven' for foreign terrorists' - Feb 04, 2011
- The World's nicest prison is located in Bastoy - May 25, 2012
Tags: amnesty, blanket ban, britain london, british government, bureaucrat, concept of democracy, council of europe, daily express, david cameron, european court of human rights, european values, imprisonment, inmates, massive vote, minister david, murderers, prisoners, rapists, voting booth, voting rights