Richard Branson defends Virgin’s overtly sexual advertisingMay 22nd, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 22 (ANI): Brit industrialist Sir Richard Branson has defended his fondness for posing with and using scantily clad women in promoting his Virgin Group, saying they help him stay in the limelight.
Branson, 58, who was responding to an accusation made last week by The Advertiser’s Amber Petty, who attacked Virgin’s overtly sexual advertising, said that using attractive women to sell products was an age-old practice.
“The problem, I believe, with her argument is that if the next time I promote a product I line up with three male models the photo won’t get into your paper and the new business won’t get talked about,” News.com.au quoted him as having written to The Advertiser in response to the article.
“The old-fashioned way of promoting products and businesses has worked for centuries and picture editors are unlikely to let it die out soon,” he said.
Petty had also stated in her column that Branson “can’t land in a country without paying girls in bikinis to fall all over him at the other end,” and that Virgin was resorting to “the old 1970s template for selling products”.
Celebrity agent Max Markson agreed with Branson’s method of selling his product.
“The first thing is sex sells, always has, always will,” Markson told The Advertiser.
“You try to knock Richard Branson when that’s what the media wants, and that’s what the public wants; even women love looking at attractive women,” he said, citing actress Angelina Jolie as an example. (ANI)
- Scantily clad women ensure media coverage: Richard Branson - May 22, 2009
- Fire destroys Richard Branson's island house after lightning strike during Irene - Aug 23, 2011
- Kutcher heads to space - Mar 21, 2012
- Chinese woman seeks husband who won't have sex - Mar 21, 2012
- S. African businessman wins legal battle against Virgin boss Branson - Feb 04, 2010
- Perry gifts $200,000 space trip to Brand on birthday - Aug 02, 2010
- Designerwear show affecting local business in Goa? - Dec 10, 2011
- Branson to work as air hostess on AirAsia flight - Nov 17, 2010
- Katy Perry 'really excited' about space trip with Russell Brand - Apr 03, 2011
- Space visit on Theron's wish list - May 28, 2012
- New ad shows Pitt's younger brother's lifestyle - Jul 03, 2012
- Perry excited about space trip - Apr 03, 2011
- Richard Branson loses legal battle over 'virgin' trademark - Jul 28, 2009
- Kate Winslet becomes a real life heroine - Aug 23, 2011
- Richard Branson unveils digital mag for iPad - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,