Rhinoceros ordered to have sex to save its specie!December 26th, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 26 (ANI): It may sound bizarre, but a rhinoceros has been ordered to have sex in a bid to save its species.
Tam, the rhino is sadly one of the last rhinos of its specie and has been enrolled under a new breeding program, which will bring together 10 of the 30 or so remaining Borneo Sumatran rhinos in a desperate bid to boost their numbers.
Tam, who was found wandering around an oil palm plantation in Malaysia with an infected leg caused by a poacher’’s trap, will be helping increase the number of its specie after spending 20 years alone.
It has been shifted to The World Wildlife Fund 300,000 acre reserve.
“We hope to bring at least five male and female rhinos into the reserve over the next few years so that they can mate and produce offspring. Tam is the first, the Daily Star quoted Junaidi Payne, from the charity, as saying.
“Their numbers are so low that they might drift into extinction if no one does anything, Payne added.
Brutal Poachers have mainly contributed to the vanishing number of Borneo Sumatran rhinos, who hunt them for their horns. (ANI)
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- Javan rhino is extinct in Vietnam - Oct 25, 2011
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- Animal rights campaigners accidentally kill rhino - Feb 11, 2012
- Last Female Rhino Killed In South African Park - Jul 24, 2010
- Conservation efforts help increase Nepal's rhino population - Apr 26, 2011
- Rhino killed in South Africa - Mar 03, 2012
- Wildlife Officials Call For Urgent Action as Poachers Kill Park's Last Female Rhino - Jul 20, 2010
- Poachers kill the last female rhino in the South African National Park - Jul 20, 2010
- Turmoil gores Nepal's rhino success story - Jun 14, 2010
- Chinese farm threatened African rhino for horns: Report - Mar 07, 2010
- Report: 88 percent of logging in Indonesia is illegal - Jun 23, 2011
- Domesticated cattle grazing in sanctuary pose threat to rhinos in Assam - Jan 02, 2011
- Baby Rhino Killed By Poachers In South Africa - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: acre reserve, borneo, charity, daily star, extinction, horns, london, offspring, oil palm plantation, poacher, poachers, rhino, rhinoceros, rhinos, s trap, specie, sumatran rhinos, world wildlife fund