Rhino horn more expensive than gold in South AfricaJanuary 17th, 2011 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Jan 17 (IANS) The price of a horn of an African rhino has increased to 400,000 rand ($59,000) per kg, making it far more expensive than gold, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reported.Rhino poaching increased in South Africa in 2010, with 330 rhinos shot dead for their horns in wildlife parks around the country, compared to 122 in 2009, according to Xinhua.
The SABC quoted the International Rhino Foundation as saying that demand for rhino horns has caused its price to escalate.
It said rhino poaching cost the country at least 250 million rand ($38 million) in 2010.
Pelham Jones of the South African Rhino Owners’ Association said private game owners are losing their confidence in rhinos as an investment because of the high risk of poaching and the huge cost of protecting the animals.
Recently, five suspected poachers were shot in the Kruger National Park Jan 11 and Jan 12 during a crackdown on criminal gangs smuggling rhino horns.
- Rhino killed in South Africa - Mar 03, 2012
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- Rhino poaching surge in South Africa - Jan 13, 2012
- Rhino mother, baby killed in South Africa - Feb 11, 2012
- Rhino poaching on rise in South Africa - May 09, 2012
- 220 rhinos killed in South Africa this year - May 23, 2012
- Poachers kill the last female rhino in the South African National Park - Jul 20, 2010
- Nearly 300 rhinos killed in South Africa this year - Jul 19, 2012
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012
- Last Female Rhino In South African Park Killed For Its Valued Horns By Hardhearted Poachers - Jul 24, 2010
- Rhino poaching continues unabated in South Africa - Mar 03, 2012
- 50 Cent urged to adopt endangered rhino - Oct 11, 2010
- Animal rights campaigners accidentally kill rhino - Feb 11, 2012
- South Africa sets up team to tackle wildlife poaching - Apr 18, 2010
- Three rhinos found dead in Kenyan national park - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: african rhino, confidence, crackdown, criminal gangs, game owners, high risk, international rhino foundation, kg, kruger national park, poachers, private game, rhino, rhino horn, rhino horns, rhinos, sabc, south africa johannesburg, south african broadcasting corporation, wildlife parks, xinhua