Return to national team a desire, not priority: Ronaldo

April 12th, 2009 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS  

Sao Paulo, April 12 (DPA) Just a month after his comeback from a serious knee injury, Ronaldo, the three-time World Cup winner, said that he’d like to return to Brazil’s national team.
But it wasn’t a priority, the 32-year-old football superstar told the website GloboEsporte.

“It’s a huge desire on my part, but not a priority. I am always ready to put on the Selacao tricot,” he said, referring to the uniform of the national team.

He said his immediate attention was focussed on winning the upcoming match for his team.

The World Cup master goal kicker who helped his team last win the cup in 2002 conceded that he’s not yet in top form, although he’s made five goals in seven games for Corinthians.

Ronaldo recently admitted he was still three kilograms over his ideal weight and that he had to get better to come out ahead in the huge scramble for national team honours.

“If I deserve to be called, I will put myself fully at service,” said Ronaldo - called O Fenomeno, the phenomenon, by his fans.

Ronaldo just returned to play last month after a year’s absence for injury.

His team doctor Joaquim Grava told DPA last month that Ronaldo could be fit enough to play for Brazil at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Although Ronaldo will be nearly 34 when the tournament takes place, he should be physically strong enough to play at the highest level, Grava said.

“If he continues to work in this rhythm, doesn’t get injured and nothing unpredictable happens he is absolutely in a position to take part at the World Cup, without any doubt,” Grava said.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |