Return our dolphins, Russian owners tell Egypt aquariumFebruary 16th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 16 (RIA Novosti) Russian owners of three dolphins have appealed to the Egyptian Justice Ministry seeking the return of the marine mammals, which they say are being kept in Egypt illegally, a Russian daily said Monday.
Vremya Novostei said the contract for shows involving the three Black Sea dolphins - Stesha, Masha and Styopa - at an aquatic centre in Sharm-el-Sheikh expired last March. However, the Egyptians are still refusing to let the animals go.
The Russian owners have also lodged a complaint with the upper house of Russia’s parliament.
“The dolphins belong to Russia. They are our valuable property,” said Igor Kostov, director of the St. Petersburg dolphinarium.
The affair involves three parties: the Russian dolphinarium, an Egyptian manager, and the Polish company that owns the Egyptian aquarium, which signed the contract with the Russian dolphin owners.
A year ago, the Egyptian partner proposed extending the contract for the dolphins directly with the Russians, bypassing the Polish party, and later submitted to an Egyptian court a copy of a document confirming his sole ownership of the facility.
The Polish intermediaries lost the court case Jan 25, and have failed to get support from the Polish authorities, who said the affair was the company’s private business.
The sea life centre and the dolphins themselves are currently protected by armed guards.
Lawyers for the Russian dolphin owners said they could file a suit against the Egyptian partners as soon as the dolphins were brought back to Russia.
- Russia restricts Belarusian airline - Apr 06, 2012
- First in South Asia, a dolphin show in Pakistan - Aug 13, 2012
- India's first oceanarium to come up in Greater Noida - May 05, 2012
- NGO opposes dolphin park in Maharashtra - Nov 05, 2011
- CSKA Moscow land Aeroflot sponsorship deal - Jul 18, 2012
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft sign deal for joint development of Arctic and Black Sea resources - Aug 31, 2011
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
- Madonna an 'ex-wh***', says Russian deputy PM - Aug 09, 2012
- Dolphin activists oppose Sea World project in Maharashtra - Feb 29, 2012
- Iran seeks Russian support over N-programme - Apr 13, 2010
- Russian lower house bans internet alcohol ads - Jul 07, 2012
- Shark kills elderly German tourist of Egyptian resort - Dec 06, 2010
- Manmohan, Gilani talks go on for 50 minutes - Apr 29, 2010
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: aquatic centre, armed guards, black sea, court case, egyptian court, egyptian partner, egyptians, justice ministry, kostov, marine mammals, masha, polish authorities, polish company, private business, ria novosti, sea life centre, sharm el sheikh, sole ownership, upper house, vremya