Resumption of talks not discussed with Pakistan: MenonJune 16th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by ANI
Yekaterinburg (Russia), June 16 (ANI): Indian Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon today ruled out resumption of dialogue with Pakistan after the meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Asif Ali Zardari, which lasted for 40 minutes.
Talking to reporters after the meeting between two leaders, Menon said India had conveyed its expectations to Pakistan vis a vis terror and 26/11 probe, it did not discuss resuming the talks between the two countries.
He also said that Dr. Singh and Zardari would meet again in Shram-el Sheikh in Egypt on the sidelines of NAM Summit next month to take stock of the outcome of the Foreign Secretaries meet.
Earlier in the day, Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that the most sensible thing would be to resume dialogue with India as soon as possible.
As the leaders of India and Pakistan met for the first time since the Mumbai terror attacks took place on November 26 last year, the talks between Dr. Singh and Zardari is seen as a start in allowing both countries to repair relations.
Qureshi told reporters in Yekaterinburg that it is in mutual interest of the two countries to resume the stalled dialogue between two nuclear-armed nations.
“I think the most sensible thing would be to resume the dialogue as soon as possible. It is in our mutual interest to do so,” said Qureshi.
The Pakistan’s Foreign Minister added that terrorism is not country specific and has to be dealt with unitedly in a decisive manner.
“We are victims of terrorism, but as a nation we have decided to act in a decisive manner and there has been lot of dislocation,” he said, apparently referring to the situation in the Swat Valley.
Stressing on building a consensus, Qureshi added that all the leaders present at the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit in Russia have agreed for regional cooperation against terrorism. (ANI)
- Pak wants to resume dialogue with India as soon as possible - Jun 16, 2009
- Zardari likely to come on 'personal' visit to India (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Post 26/11, a chronicle of India-Pakistan meetings - Apr 08, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan-Gilani chemistry: From Sharm el-Sheikh to Addu via Thimphu - Nov 10, 2011
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Chronology of India-Pakistan meetings since 26/11 - May 11, 2010
- It's official: Manmohan to meet Zardari in Russia - Jun 12, 2009
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- India-Pakistan thaw in the Russian summer (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2009
- Manmohan to Zardari: Don't allow your territory for anti-India acts (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Zardari trip good but should fetch results: Analysts - Apr 06, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to meet Zardari in Russia today - Jun 16, 2009
Tags: asif ali zardari, dislocation, dr singh, india and pakistan, manmohan, manmohan singh, mehmood, menon, mutual interest, nam summit, nuclear armed nations, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, qureshi, regional cooperation, shanghai cooperation organisation, swat valley, terror attacks, victims of terrorism, yekaterinburg russia