Residents of hottest Aussie town face 400 mile round trip to get a beerJune 3rd, 2010 - 5:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 3 (ANI): An Aussie pub has been drunk almost dry by thirsty customers travelling miles for a beer from one of the country’s hottest towns after their local bar closed.
Since the closure of The Ironclad Hotel, the only pub in Marble Bar, thirsty residents in search of a ‘tinnie’, or cold beer, have been forced to drive more than an hour by car to Nullagine’s only pub, the Conglomerate Hotel.
But now that pub is running low on supplies.
Brett Powter, manager of Nullagine’s only pub, the Conglomerate Hotel, said he expects to run out of beer before his next delivery is scheduled to arrive.
“We’ve had people driving down every day, some people drive 120k down and 120k back just to buy a carton of beer,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“Some of them have bought 10 cases just to get them through because the only other pub is another 200kms from here. We’ve gone through 3 pallets this week. We usually go through one,” he added.
The high demand for beer and rum has almost emptied The Congolmerate’s cellars, he said.
“I’ve got 10 cartons of XXXX (Fourex) and that’s it. I’ve got wine left, but nobody drinks wine out in the middle of nowhere,” he said.
Until the next delivery, the beer lovers of Marble Bar will be forced to drive an extra 125 miles further south to the town of Newman, which boasts three pubs. (ANI)
- Beer is no longer thirst quencher of Aussies - Feb 22, 2011
- UK brewery creates beer as the latest Royal Wedding souvenir - Feb 24, 2011
- Britons bought more beer at shops than pubs - Jan 25, 2011
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space - Mar 01, 2011
- Pub sells special beer for dogs - Jan 10, 2012
- Despite problems of matching, India's wine industry booming - Feb 05, 2012
- Girl banned from every pub in Britain reveals all - May 23, 2010
- Hotel is first in Australia to offer women's only floor - Mar 21, 2011
- More than one pub closing every day in the UK - Mar 28, 2011
- Pub-city Bangalore to go microbrewing for beer - Jan 18, 2011
- Wild celebrations in Hyderabad - Jan 01, 2012
- Hyderabad police impose restrictions for New Year celebrations - Dec 23, 2011
- Regulars celebrate 82yrs of drinking together at the same Somerset pub! - May 12, 2010
- Team MRF hope to score with Skoda - Mar 29, 2012
- Now, a beer for gays and lesbians - Feb 03, 2011