Residents evacuated as boulder looms over villageJune 3rd, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 3 (IANS/EFE) Authorities in the central Mexican state of Queretaro evacuated the residents of a village threatened by a giant boulder dangling from a crag, officials said Thursday.
All 363 inhabitants of Adjunta de Higueras were taken to a makeshift shelter at an elementary school in neighbouring Pena Blanca, the government said in a statement.
The authorities who supervised the evacuation also took steps to protect the residents’ possessions in the event the boulder breaks loose and devastates the village, while Queretaro police are standing guard over the now-deserted community to prevent looting.
State health officials and the Mexican army are providing food and other essentials for the evacuated residents.
The State Highway Commission plans to install protective barriers around the village pending the completion of efforts to safely break up the boulder, according to the statement.
- Mexican candidate defends his lack of knowledge about books - Dec 07, 2011
- Remains of missing Mexican politician found in mass grave - Mar 17, 2012
- 250 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Cocaine packed in toys, candy seized in Nicaragua - Dec 27, 2010
- Mexican presidential hopeful goes public with new romance - Aug 03, 2011
- Dating service uses philandering Mexican politician's image - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexican ex-presidential candidate kidnapped - May 16, 2010
- 850-years old human skeletons found in Mexico - Aug 25, 2012
- Mexico's president-elect vows to reduce poverty - Sep 12, 2012
- `Mexico must look into obstacles to press coverage' - Jul 05, 2012
- Abducted Mexican politician released after seven months - Dec 21, 2010
- Mexico gears up for first televised presidential debate - May 07, 2012
- Greenpeace launches campaign against Mexican resort project - Mar 15, 2012
- Murders up 145 percent in Mexico over five years - Jul 30, 2011
- 200,000 affected by floods in Mexico - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: authorities, central mexican state, efe, giant boulder, higueras, inhabitants, june 3, makeshift shelter, mexican army, mexico city, neighbouring, possessions, protective barriers, queretaro, state health officials, state highway commission