Researchers unveil hydrogen-powered racing carNovember 7th, 2008 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 7 (IANS) Researchers have unveiled the first hydrogen-powered racing car that demonstrates the incredible possibilities of hydrogen as the clean, renewable fuel of the future. The car will be bidding for the title of world’s fastest hydrogen-powered racer when it attempts in early 2009 in Germany to break the Guinness World Records’ mark for speed by a vehicle of its class.
Powered by an internal combustion motorcycle engine that has been modified to run on hydrogen, the racing car is expected to reach speeds of up to 170 kmph in its world record bid, according to a statement of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT).
Aleksandar Subic, who heads the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, said the RMIT collaboration with Germany’s Fachhochschule Ingolstadt University of Applied Sciences on the hydrogen car project could radically change the world’s approach to automotive technologies.
“This is a demonstration vehicle for the future - a car that is powerful, fast and runs on clean, sustainable fuel,” Subic said.
“By aiming to set a new speed record for one-seater, hydrogen-powered racing cars, we want to show the world the possibilities of this alternative clean technology, both for ordinary vehicles and in racing.
“Our work will have benefits for all cars but we also hope it could lead one day to a first in racing - a clean and green Formula 1 competition.”
- Working model of hydrogen-run lorry demonstrated - Nov 10, 2011
- Mahindra launches hydrogen-powered three-wheeler - Jan 09, 2012
- Robotic jellyfish invented - Mar 21, 2012
- Mercedes launches the new M-Class - Jan 05, 2012
- Hydrogen-powered unmanned plane sets 26-hour flight endurance record - Dec 01, 2009
- Electric cars to be in vogue by 2020 - Apr 21, 2010
- Fuel cell powered unmanned air vehicle sets unofficial flight endurance record - Oct 14, 2009
- Finnish man gives his Chevrolet eco-friendly makeover to run on wood chips - Apr 16, 2011
- EU to ban 'Conventionally fuelled' cars from cities by 2050 - Mar 29, 2011
- Jaguar to launch limited edition supercar - May 06, 2011
- Scientists come up with low-cost 'artificial petrol' - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Urbanisation, increasing demand challenge for auto sector' - Oct 06, 2011
- Super-light car bags $5m fuel efficiency prize - Sep 17, 2010
- Electric cars cause more pollution than petrol ones: Study - Feb 14, 2012
- Solar car sets speed record - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: demonstration vehicle, fachhochschule ingolstadt, guinness world records, hydrogen car, melbourne institute of technology, motorcycle engine, royal melbourne institute, royal melbourne institute of technology, sydney nov, university of applied sciences