Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise linerJanuary 17th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti reported) Italian Navy specialists carried out two controlled explosions Tuesday to facilitate a search inside the cruise liner that capsized off the country’s coast.
The operation will allow firefighters and divers to enter and search those parts of the Costa Concordia that they have been unable to access, the TMNews agency reported.
Rescuers continue searching for those still missing as about 15 people remain unaccounted for.
The Costa Concordia, carrying 4,200 passengers, hit a reef and ran aground off the coast of Isola del Giglio Friday night. According to official information, eight people died as a result of the shipwreck.
About 130 Indians aboard the ship have been saved.
India has set up a control room in both New Delhi and in its mission in Italy to help families find out about their relatives who were aboard the luxury liner.
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- Italian cruise tragedy: 17 Indians return, others on way - Jan 19, 2012
- 130 Indians saved from Italian shipwreck, control room set up - Jan 16, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 75 Indians return, rest on way - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: blast holes, costa concordia, cruise liner, dg, explosions, firefighters, friday night, India, indians, isola del giglio, italian navy, luxury liner, New Delhi, reef, relatives, rescuers, ria novosti, rome, shipwreck, snb