Rescue work continues for 19 trapped miners in ChinaJuly 3rd, 2011 - 9:23 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 3 (IANS) The rescue work continued Sunday at a coalmine in southern China where 19 workers are trapped, Xinhua reported.
Three workers were killed Saturday when the mine in Heshan in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region caved-in following incessant rain. Nineteen workers were trapped.
Rescuers have dug 300 meters into the main shaft of the mine by Sunday morning. High levels of gas in the shaft hindered the rescue effort.
The miners are trapped 390 meters underground, said Zheng Zhao’an, head of the emergency headquarters in Heshan.
He added that a second rescue channel is being dug in an adjacent shaft so it can provide an alternate route.
The accident occurred around midday Saturday. Officials said it was caused by continuous downpour.
There were 71 miners in the pit when the accident occurred. Forty-nine managed to escape.
- Three killed, 19 trapped in China coal mine cave-in - Jul 02, 2011
- Work continues to free trapped miners in China - Jul 05, 2011
- Sound raises hope trapped Chinese miners still alive - Aug 29, 2011
- Struggle to rescue 22 trapped miners in China - Nov 11, 2011
- Seven trapped Chinese miners found alive - Nov 19, 2011
- 20 dead in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 10, 2011
- 45 trapped miners rescued from Chinese coal mine - Nov 05, 2011
- Toll reaches 28 in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 12, 2011
- Seven killed in China mine collapse - Feb 20, 2012
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- 53 rescuers pulled out of southwest China mine, 5 workers trapped - Jul 29, 2012
- 60 tourists trapped in cable cars in China - May 27, 2012
- 114 miners rescued from flooded mine in China (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Death toll from Central China's mine accident reaches 26 - Oct 17, 2010
- Six dead in central China coal mine gas leak - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: alternate route, autonomous region, china beijing, coalmine, downpour, emergency headquarters, heshan, incessant rain, midday, rescue effort, rescuers, shaft, southern china, sunday morning, trapped miners, xinhua